• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IBC 2018 Concentrated Business Occupancy

Michael Schirmer

Hi. I'm new here and found this via another forum where I was told of this forum. Glad to see a place where building code can be discussed.

With the introduction of the IBC 2018, Business occupancy has been subdivided in Table 1004.5 and then Section 1004.8. Now the occupancy for Business is 1:150 and then there is "Concentrated Business Use" where the number of seats is counted. Sure, it says for call centers, etc, but that isn't how the cities around my area are using it like Plano, Texas. They are counting the cubicle, no matter the use. I'm curious if anyone else has worked with cities with IBC 2018 and what are your understandings? There are a few mixed answers in our office on how to determine the floor space of the "Concentrated Business Use (CBU)" area. Do you count only the floor space under the cubicles, the entire region of cubicle area or the entire open office area where the cubicles exist, which could include areas that could be classified as a hall?

Any thoughts on this?

Section 1004.8 states the actual occupant load, but not less than 50 sq. ft. of "gross occupiable floor space." Thus, I would treat it just like you would for the standard gross floor area for business areas per Table 1004.5.

Section 1004.8 states the actual occupant load, but not less than 50 sq. ft. of "gross occupiable floor space." Thus, I would treat it just like you would for the standard gross floor area for business areas per Table 1004.5.

So the new concentrated load is the high number using either 1 person per 50sf of gross floor space or the actual number of people?

So the new concentrated load is the high number using either 1 person per 50sf of gross floor space or the actual number of people?
Yes, it's the greater of the two. Per the Significant Changes to the International Building Code (2018 Edition): "...the occupant load must be established at a minimum of one occupant for each 50 square feet."

So in the example below, which area do you include is sq ft of Concentrated Business Area? Green only? Red only? Red and Blue? This is part of our issue of determining what code implies.

ba3946dbac63a1509ea755b956abe22c.jpg

Red plus blue and then some (some areas not highlighted would be included in the gross floor area); but I agree with you...this is not a concentrated business use. I bet if you took that gross floor area and divided it by 150 you would get a number very close to the number of cubicles shown.

Yes, it's the greater of the two. Per the Significant Changes to the International Building Code (2018 Edition): "...the occupant load must be established at a minimum of one occupant for each 50 square feet."
The code says
Thanks. We're going to get that book then. Might be more there that we need clarification.

This is a call center floor plan--there's a big difference between what you show and what is shown below.
2nd_Floor_Plan.JPG

This is a call center floor plan--there's a big difference between what you show and what is shown below.
I agree. The city put out its rule that all workstations fall under the category of "concentrated business". They also give leniency to the lesser number.

2nd_Floor_Plan.JPG
With this plan you show, would you still include the empty open office above office 1 & 2, as well as the corridor area for the "concentrated business"? Just reclarifying.

With this plan you show, would you still include the empty open office above office 1 & 2, as well as the corridor area for the "concentrated business"? Just reclarifying.
No, I would apply the 1:150 OL factor to that space (unless it has another defined use not indicated), as well as the open area just outside of those offices.

That is what I was assuming. I think the first city I had to use the 2018 code for confused me on how to interpret. Texas allows cities to choose the code. There is actually one city we deal with still on 2006 codes.

Remember that the gross floor area for the business use included in the calculation is everything with a roof over it, Corridors, toilets, stairs shafts, elevator shafts, mechanical shafts, etc. minus any floor area net functions of space such as conference rooms.