• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

ICC's Proposed 2011 Bylaw Amendment

Arch5000

Hi,

I am a new voting member of the ICC. I have been trying to find information on the ICC proposed amendment 1-2011 to the bylaws where "implementation" has been added to the definition of a Governmental Member. The text as I saw in the original proposal also added "Health, Safety and Welfare" but this was not included. Can anyone tell me what group proposed the change and what their reasons were? I can find no info on-line.

Thanks!!

I hear you. Bylaw amendments as proposed do not have a lot of information as to the intent or impact. This too much change. My take on this is the "big tent". To be more inclusive. Or perhaps I'm mistaken?

I am not sure if it was brought forward by the ICC Ad Hoc Committee on Health Care, the US DOE or a special interest group. Ballots are due by Jan. 10. Who was kept out as a Governmental Voting Member before that needs this new definition to become a voting member? The ICC used an electronic ballot for the first time but had many bad e-mail addresses. I was one of the lucky ones that got the e-mail. Maybe this is why there is so little discussion on line- because only a few know about it. Was anyone at the Phoenix ABM that heard testimony on this?

I voted no on it because of the "implementation" wording. I think this would open up the voting category way too much. For instance, I think it would allow someone to be a voting member if they did as litle as testify at a code hearing for a local government that was in the process of adopting or "implementing" a certain I-code. Their testimony could be contrued as part of the implementation process.