• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IEB Code Question of the Day 2 Aug 2018

north star

Sawhorse
& * &

...continuing with this topic, I have a detour here.
I am reviewing plans for a facility, and they plan to replace
approx. 20 rooftop units......Presently there are no GFCI
rated receptacles installed anywhere on the roofs.
This project also proposes to pressure wash & paint the
exterior walls, ...construct 5 new steel structures without
any walls, to house mobile Generators, and to replace an
existing elevator inside one of the main bldgs.......These
new steel structures are designed to meet the wind & structural
loads of the region and to provide the necessary electrical
components to be able to quickly connect the Generators
to the adjacent bldgs.......The approx. price tag on this
project is $1.7 mil.

QUESTION # 1: The RDP has listed the ICC\ANSI A117.1

& the ADAAG as two of the Standards for compliance on
this elevator.........Because of the listing of the Accessibility
Standards, am I to assume that the rest of the facility "should
be" accessibility compliant ?........There is no mention of, or
listing of any other Accessibility Standards on this project.
I perceive that the RDP is not being fully forthright on the
Scope of what is required.........My dilemma is this, is there a
"requirement" to have this project spend up to 20% for
Accessibility compliance ?..........NOTE: In the past, some

RDP's have stated that compliance [ and budget ] was \ is not
part of their contract.

I am seeking Code & Standards sections that will assist me
in determining when should the "up to 20%" is required to be
spent.......In this case, the applicable Codes are the `15 I-Codes,
including the IEBC, and the `09 A117.1.

Thanks for any input !

& * &

existing building 20% accessibility improvement - it sound like they may have hit close to this price tag with an ada compliant retrofit elevator

Accessibility requirements would be under alterations or repairs in the IBC or IEBC. Unfortunately, it will be the designer's responsibility to ensure that the scope of the project is reflected in the construction documents to include - method of compliance with IEBC - prescriptive, work area, or performance. only then will you truly know if the 20% rule is applicable.

From what you describe the 20% does not apply to this project

3411.7 Alterations affecting an area containing a primary function.
Where an alteration affects the accessibility to, or contains an area of primary function , the route to the primary function area shall be accessible . The accessible route to the primary function area shall include toilet facilities or drinking fountains serving the area of primary function .

Exceptions:

1. The costs of providing the accessible route are not required to exceed 20 percent of the costs of the alterations affecting the area of primary function .

2. This provision does not apply to alterations limited solely to windows, hardware, operating controls, electrical outlets and signs.

3. This provision does not apply to alterations limited solely to mechanical systems, electrical systems, installation or alteration of fire protection systems and abatement of hazardous materials.

4. This provision does not apply to alterations undertaken for the primary purpose of increasing the accessibility of an existing building, facility or element.

& ~ & ~ & ~ &

Much Thanks to you **Builder Bob** & **mtlogcabin** !

BB, ...I am trying to obtain info from the RDP on a number of aspects
of the plans submitted.

mtlogcabin, ...there is no Ch. 34 in the `15 IBC any longer......It
was removed........Now, everything comes out of the IEBC or the
Property Maintenance Code ( IPMC ), but "Thank You" anyway for
the reference.......That is still some good reading and information,
as part of my due diligence.

& ~ & ~ & ~ &

Everything that was in Chapter 34 is included in the IEBC. So the language is there in the prescriptive (IBC Chapter 34) and level 1 alterations compliance methods

You did't say if the building has an accessible route to the area containing a primary function including toilet rooms and drinking fountain. If it does your done.

From reading the OP non of the work being done is in a primary function area except the elevator replacement which will have to meet today's accessibility requirements. See exception 4 above.
Additional funds can not be required to be spent on accessibility if the work being done is to improve accessibility which the replacement of the elevator should do (unless it is a freight elevator car).