• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IECC 2015 Occupancy Usage

Apurva Dave

I have a question regarding iecc 2015 occupancy sensor usage. IECC 2015 says occupancy
sensor not be used in security. Auto shutoff not used in spaces where occupant safety is
endangered. Also IECC 2015 lists space types in which occupancy sensor shall be installed
and kitchen, restaurant dining areas, prep areas is not one of them.

I have restaurant in which occupancy sensor is installed in kitchen, customer area dining public
areas, prep areas and mechanical room. My question is should occupancy sensor be installed
in those areas ?

Occ sensors are always an option, they satisfy light reduction and automatic shutoff, which is why they are a good solution. But you can have manual reduction and a time clock for automatic shutoff still I believe...