• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IG Pool Cover

Keystone

SAWHORSE
Homeowner called and would like to install an IG Pool without typical barrier & alarm, proposed an automatic pool cover that meets ASTM F 1346. From what I read this appears acceptable based on AG105.5 as well as DEFINITIONS of HOT TUB, SPA & SWIMMING POOL, agree or disagree?

SECTION AG105 BARRIER REQUIREMENTS .....

AG105.2 Outdoor swimming pool. An outdoor swimming pool, including an in-ground, above-ground or on-ground pool, hot tub or spa shall be surrounded by a barrier which shall comply with the following: .....

AG105.5 Barrier exceptions. Spas or hot tubs with a safety cover which complies with ASTM F 1346, as listed in Section AG107, shall be exempt from the provisions of this appendix.

AG107.1 General.

ANSI—American National Standards Institute

11 West 42nd Street

New York, NY 10036

APSP—Association of Pool and Spa Professionals

NSPI—National Spa and Pool Institute

2111 Eisenhower Avenue

Alexandria, VA 22314

ASCE—American Society of Civil Engineers

1801 Alexander Bell Drive

Reston, VA 98411-0700

ASTM—ASTM International

100 Barr Harbor Drive,

West Conshohocken, PA 19428

UL—Underwriters Laboratories, Inc.

333 Pfingsten Road

Northbrook, IL 60062-2096

SECTION AG102 DEFINITIONS

HOT TUB. See "Swimming pool."

SPA, NONPORTABLE. See "Swimming pool."

SWIMMING POOL. Any structure intended for swimming or recreational bathing that contains water over 24 inches (610 mm) deep. This includes in-ground, above-ground and on-ground swimming pools, hot tubs and spas.

Although I've not had such a case, I think that we accept electrically operated pool covers as a barrier. However, we have an ordinance for protecting pools. (THAT"S WRONG INFORMATION, WE DO NOT ACCEPT COVERS AS A BARRIER)

All spas and hot tubs are swimming pools but not all swimming pools are spas or hot tubs. So based on what you have provided, I would say no.

Last edited by a moderator:
Interesting that this same question was posted on the VBCOA message board this morning;

The only way I have seen this work is, If they apply for a code modification to use the IBC for the barrier requirements. Using 3109.4 the exception, which negates for the barrier if an auto-safety cover is installed complying with ASTM F 1364

http://www.boards2go.com/boards/board.cgi?&user=vbcoa

As written, the exception does not apply to swimming pools. This is why we amended our adoption to add the word "swimming pools" in the exception. I just approved one today and was very happy to avoid the cumbersome barrier specifics. Long live ASTM F 1346!

I would think a safety cover on a pool would make it safer than a fence or door alarms. If the code is the minimum that you can do, a safety pool cover is above the minimum.

Since at least half the pools I see are purely decorative I would wonder how many customers would keep it covered up.

Of course door alarms are quickly disconnected too, as soon as the inspector leaves.

Toward the end of the housing boom my wife moved from builder to "warranty" and just as "gee whiz info" (for me), she checked to see how many of the door alarms they installed were still working ... very few ... and most of those people wanted to know how to turn it off.

Ice - I understand what your saying about a pool not being a hot tub, etc... so then under IRC definition would a swimming pool be a hot tub or spa if it were heated?

Francis - Never knew of that website but this one is better anyway so it doesn't matter.

- Code modification, not sure where it will lead but I will explore that avenue.

This was a phone call so time is on my side, in re-reviewing Appendix G I am not clear on the no answers.

Keystone said:
Ice - I understand what your saying about a pool not being a hot tub, etc... so then under IRC definition would a swimming pool be a hot tub or spa if it were heated? No.
SECTION AG105

BARRIER REQUIREMENTS

AG105.2 Outdoor swimming pool. An outdoor swimming pool, including an in-ground, above-ground or on-groundpool, hot tub or spa shall be surrounded by a barrier which shall comply with the following:
Then there are 8 numbered paragraphs that describe the barrier.

#9 has to do with the use of a wall of a dwelling as part of the barrier

9. Where a wall of a dwelling serves as part of the barrier, one of the following conditions shall be met:9.1. The pool shall be equipped with a powered safety cover in compliance with ASTM F 1346; or

9.2. Doors with direct access to the pool through that wall shall be equipped with an alarm which produces an audible warning when the door and/or its screen, if present, are opened. The alarm shall be listed and labeled in accordance with UL 2017. The deactivation switch(es) shall be located at least 54 inches (1372 mm) above the threshold of the door; or

9.3. Other means of protection, such as self-closing doors with self-latching devices, which are approved by the governing body, shall be acceptable as long as the degree of protection afforded is not less than the protection afforded by Item 9.1 or 9.2 described above.
So no matter what, there will be a barrier that meets all of the requirements of the paragraphs numbered 1 thru 8 and a powered cover can be used to eliminate alarms or self closing, self latching doors.

This exception is for spas and hot tubs but not pools. The cover is still required to meet ASTM F 1346 but it is not required to be powered. It is required to be lockable.

AG105.5 Barrier exceptions. Spas or hot tubs with a safety cover which complies with ASTM F 1346, as listed in Section AG107, shall be exempt from the provisions of this appendix.

Last edited by a moderator:
Glenn said:
As written, the exception does not apply to swimming pools. This is why we amended our adoption to add the word "swimming pools" in the exception. I just approved one today and was very happy to avoid the cumbersome barrier specifics. Long live ASTM F 1346!
Glenn,

Does your local amendment require a powered cover?