• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

III-5.4000 Elevator exemption - How is 3000 sq/ft counted?

SteelBuildings

I am in an area that has a 30 foot height limit and I would like to build a three story apartment building with two stairwells for egress and accessible units on the ground floor.

The total buildable area is 4100 sqft, are external stairwells counted as square footage inside the 3000 sqft limit? Where can I find more information about the limit in relation to patios, external corridors, internal corridors, trash drops, utility rooms etc etc? Any help would be greatly appreciated.

You are barely going to get 3 floors in 30 ft. Have you looked at the city or county website for zoning ordinances?

Yes, we have a 30ft height limit in coastal San Diego
What I’m saying is … 8 ft ceiling height … 1 ft floor/ ceiling thickness … doesn’t leave a lot of room for the roof structure. Bump the ceiling to 9 ftcand it’s even worse. Essentially a flat roof.

Sorry guys, this was my first post on the forum, please ignore all the useless info I posted above, I am going to try again here

There is an elevator exception for buildings "with less than three stories or which have less than 3000 square feet per story" and I am seeking clarification on how the 3000 square feet are calculated. I am unable to find this for ADA guidelines in relation to "under 3000 square feet per floor"

An example of what I am looking for is how the city of Cleveland calculates square footage:
"1311.03 CALCULATING AGGREGATE FLOOR AREA FOR FEES. Where aggregate floor area is the basis for establishing the amount of the permit fee, such aggregate floor area shall be calculated as follows:

(a) The aggregate floor area shall be the sum of gross horizontal areas of the several floors of the building or other structures, including interior balconies and mezzanines, if any, and including basements, cellars and useable parts of attics; except that attic floors in dwelling houses and rooming houses shall not be included in the aggregate floor area unless they are at least fifty percent used for habitable rooms, kitchens, bathrooms, toilet rooms or for other similar living purposes.

(b) All horizontal dimensions shall be taken from the exterior faces of walls, including walls or other enclosures of enclosed porches, dormers, penthouses and sidewalk vaults, and including the areas of open porches and open porticos. The measurements shall not include the areas of outer or inner courts, or the areas of outside terraces or steps, or similar open structures outside of the enclosing exterior walls.

(c) Whenever a story height of a building exceeds fifteen (15) feet measured as herein specified for "H", the aggregate floor area of such floor shall be deemed to be H/15 times the measured floor area thereof. "H" shall be the height measured floor level of such story to the floor level of the story above, or where such story is the uppermost story of the building and has a finished ceiling, shall be the height measured from the floor level of such story to a level one (1) foot above the average ceiling level within the measured floor area. Where no ceiling is provided in the uppermost story of a building and the roof is supported on girders or trusses, "H" shall be measured to the mid-height of such girders or trusses. With a sloping roof and no ceilings, "H" shall be measured to the mid-height of the sloping roof. With exposed roof joists on bearing walls "H" shall be measured to a level one (1) foot above the average level of the roof joists."

I don't know about VA code. In the 2015 IBC as long as there is no accessible units or other accessible areas above the first floor an elevator is not required.

1009.2.1 Elevators required. In buildings where a
required accessible floor is four or more stories above or
below a level of exit discharge, not less than one required
accessible means of egress shall be an elevator complying
with Section 1009.4.
Exceptions:
1. In buildings equipped throughout with an automatic
sprinkler system installed in accordance
with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, the elevator
shall not be required on floors provided with a
horizontal exit and located at or above the levels
of exit discharge.
2. In buildings equipped throughout with an automatic
sprinkler system installed in accordance
with Section 903.3.1.1 or 903.3.1.2, the elevator
shall not be required on floors provided with a
ramp conforming to the provisions of Section

1104.4 Multistory buildings and facilities. At least one
accessible route shall connect each accessible story and mezzanine
in multilevel buildings and facilities.
Exceptions:
1. An accessible route is not required to stories and
mezzanines that have an aggregate area of not more
than 3,000 square feet (278.7 m2) and are located
above and below accessible levels. This exception
shall not apply to:
1.1. Multiple tenant facilities of Group M occupancies
containing five or more tenant
spaces used for the sales or rental of goods
and where at least one such tenant space is
located on a floor level above or below the
accessible levels;
1.2. Stories or mezzanines containing offices of
health care providers (Group B or I);
1.3. Passenger transportation facilities and airports
(Group A-3 or B); or
1.4. Government buildings.
2. Stories or mezzanines that do not contain accessible
elements or other spaces as determined by Section
1107 or 1108 are not required to be served by an
accessible route from an accessible level.

3. In air traffic control towers, an accessible route is
not required to serve the cab and the floor immediately
below the cab.
4. Where a two-story building or facility has one story
or mezzanine with an occupant load of five or fewer
persons that does not contain public use space, that
story or mezzanine shall not be required to be connected
by an accessible route to the story above or
below.

Specifically IBC Section 1107.4 has exceptions for an accessible route (elevator) for residential units

1107.4 Accessible route.
Not fewer than one accessible route shall connect accessible building or facility entrances with the primary entrance of each Accessible unit, Type A unit and Type B unit within the building or facility and with those exterior and interior spaces and facilities that serve the units.

Exceptions:

1. If due to circumstances outside the control of the owner, either the slope of the finished ground level between accessible facilities and buildings exceeds one unit vertical in 12 units horizontal (1:12), or where physical barriers or legal restrictions prevent the installation of an accessible route, a vehicular route with parking that complies with Section 1106 at each public or common use facility or building is permitted in place of the accessible route.

2. In Group I-3 facilities, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines where Accessible units, all common use areas serving Accessible units and all public use areas are on an accessible route.

3. In Group R-2 facilities with Type A units complying with Section 1107.6.2.2.1, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines where Type A units, all common use areas serving Type A units and all public use areas are on an accessible route.

4. In other than Group R-2 dormitory housing provided by places of education, in Group R-2 facilities with Accessible units complying with Section 1107.6.2.3.1, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines where Accessible units, all common use areas serving Accessible units and all public use areas are on an accessible route.

5. In Group R-1, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines within individual units, provided the accessible level meets the provisions for Accessible units and sleeping accommodations for two persons minimum and a toilet facility are provided on that level.

6. In congregate residences in Groups R-3 and R-4, an accessible route is not required to connect stories or mezzanines where Accessible units or Type B units, all common use areas serving Accessible units and Type B units and all public use areas serving Accessible units and Type B units are on an accessible route.

7. An accessible route between stories is not required where Type B units are exempted by Section 1107.7.

Thanks, I am referring to the ADA requirement to have elevators in buildings three or more story tall, some more info below

The Americans with Disabilities Act Title III Technical Assistance Manual

III-5.0000 NEW CONSTRUCTION

Regulatory references: 28 CFR 36.401; 36.406; Appendix A.

III-5.1000 General. All newly constructed places of public accommodation and commercial facilities must be readily accessible to and usable by individuals with disabilities to the extent that it is not structurally impracticable. This requirement, along with the requirement for accessible alterations, are the only requirements that apply to commercial facilities……..continues

III-5.4000 Elevator exemption. Elevators are the most common way to provide access in multistory buildings. Title III of the ADA, however, contains an exception to the general rule requiring elevators. Elevators are not required in facilities under three stories or with fewer than 3000 square feet per floor, unless the building is a shopping center or mall; professional office of a health care provider; public transit station; or airport passenger terminal.

Your project is not subject to the ADA it comes under Fair Housing which has similar exception that the IBC has for accessible routes.

III-1.3000 Commercial facilities. The requirements of title III for new construction and alterations cover commercial facilities, which include nonresidential facilities, such as office buildings, factories, and warehouses, whose operations affect commerce. This category sweeps under ADA coverage a large number of potential places of employment that are not covered as places of public accommodation. A building may contain both commercial facilities and places of public accommodation.

III-1.3100 Exceptions. Commercial facilities do not include rail vehicles or any facility covered by the Fair Housing Act. Residential dwelling units, therefore, are not commercial facilities. In addition, facilities that are expressly exempted from coverage under the Fair Housing Act are also not considered to be commercial facilities. For example, owner-occupied rooming houses providing living quarters for four or fewer families, which are exempt from the Fair Housing Act, would not be commercial facilities.

I should mention each floor will have 8 separate dwelling units on each floor, four on each side with a corridor running between that has stairs at each side. Zoning will allow it to operate as an apartment building but not be sold as individual units.

California has different accessibility requirements than most states, so it would be best to wait for an answer from somebody familiar with California codes.

Depends on the AHJ's definition of net or gross floor area. Most zoning ordin. will have their definitions in it some where.