• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Include outdoor space in total occupant load

HauckArch

2019 California Fire Code §907.2.1

1. Should the occupant of an outdoor patio space be added to the indoor occupant load when determining the 300 occupant threshold requiring a manual fire alarm system with occupant notification if the patio has it's own two exits that lead directly to a public way and do not exit through the building? The code section above does not specifically mention "building", "structure" or anything else that would suggest outdoor space can be excluded from that threshold.
  2. When determining the occupancy threshold for the same, should only the Group A occupancies be included, and other occupancies be excluded, ie. kitchens, restrooms, and accessory spaces?

Me

If same business I would include the patio in the total occupant load,,, for fire alarm purposes

Is it enclosed in anyway?

Is there a large overhang attached to the main building?

Fire sprinkler system??

Answer # 2 I normally combine all

I see it as a separate fire area as long as the doors or windows have not been removed.
but I have no Idea on what CA codes are.

Visiting cloudy SD right now
It is not clouds but smoke you are probably seeing from the fires in Montana and Wyoming. If you can see the sun and it is orange it is smoke

FIRE AREA. The aggregate floor area enclosed and
bounded by fire walls, fire barriers, exterior walls or horizontal
assemblies of a building. Areas of the building not provided
with surrounding walls shall be included in the fire area
if such areas are included within the horizontal projection of
the roof or floor next above.

If it does not have a roof then I would not call it part of the cumulative fire area in this situation...