• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Increasing Occupancy Load

Aijo

Good evening,

I realize I posted this in the wrong forum, since I am working with an existing building.

My clients are renting an office space where with two office rooms. The clients want to turn these two rooms into religious classrooms for many people, but due to the size of both spaces (10'4" x 10'4" and 10'4" by 12'6"), there obviously cannot be a lot of people in these rooms. I suggested perhaps an assembly occupancy with just chairs, and we knock out the wall dividing the spaces. They didn't want to do that and suggested doing a 72" width double door on that wall. They are adamant that this will make it "one room." But, my question is does that truly make it one room? To me, it's just a double door dividing two spaces, that are still very much separate spaces. How much of an opening in the wall would I need to truly make these two spaces one and increase the occupancy load?

Thank you in advance.

So let’s work this backwards,,

How many people do they want or think will be total??

Maximum number they think??

Assuming planning division allows it in the zoning
Based on CBC TABLE 1004.5
if classified as Educational Classroom, you can get 11 in the combined area, without pandemic restrictions
if classified as Assembly, chairs only, you can get 33, in the combined area, without pandemic restrictions.
(and yes I know Assembly, less than 50 is a B)
if classified as Assembly, tables and chairs, you can get 15, in the combined area, without pandemic restrictions.

Assuming planning division allows it in the zoning
Based on CBC TABLE 1004.5
if classified as Educational Classroom, you can get 11 in the combined area, without pandemic restrictions
if classified as Assembly, chairs only, you can get 33, in the combined area, without pandemic restrictions.
(and yes I know Assembly, less than 50 is a B)
if classified as Assembly, tables and chairs, you can get 15, in the combined area, without pandemic restrictions.

the function of space calculations per table 1004.1.2 are to determine the minimum occupant load of a space to determine egress requirements. You can have more people in the space than determined by calculation as long as you have egress capacity to get all those people out of the building and you don't exceed 1 person per 7 SF.

1004.2 Increased occupant load.
The occupant load permitted in any building, or portion thereof, is permitted to be increased from that number established for the occupancies in
Table 1004.1.2, provided that all other requirements of the code are met based on such modified number and the occupant load does not exceed one occupant per 7 square feet(0.65 m2) of occupiable floor space. Where required by thebuilding official, an approved aisle, seating or fixed equip-ment
diagram substantiating any increase in occupant loadshall be submitted. Where required by the building official,such diagram shall be posted.

So you are going to open the wall up with a six foot opening and leave two feet on each side basically what you describe is a room divider and when open will be one room. The occupant load assigned to the room should be based on chairs only as Mark pointed out would be 33. One 36" door will handle about 150 people so I don't see an issue with what you are asking to do

the function of space calculations per table 1004.1.2 are to determine the minimum occupant load of a space to determine egress requirements. You can have more people in the space than determined by calculation as long as you have egress capacity to get all those people out of the building and you don't exceed 1 person per 7 SF.

1004.2 Increased occupant load.
The occupant load permitted in any building, or portion thereof, is permitted to be increased from that number established for the occupancies in
Table 1004.1.2, provided that all other requirements of the code are met based on such modified number and the occupant load does not exceed one occupant per 7 square feet(0.65 m2) of occupiable floor space. Where required by thebuilding official, an approved aisle, seating or fixed equip-ment
diagram substantiating any increase in occupant loadshall be submitted. Where required by the building official,such diagram shall be posted.
7 sq. ft. per occupant is the same as concentrated assembly (chairs only), so the most it would be is 33 occupants.

Whether a double door is installed or the wall is completely removed, the occupant load will remain the same.

Thank you so much everyone for your help. It's my first time receiving such a request, so I'm grateful that you all helped give me perspective on it. I let my clients know, so your help is very much appreciated.

Thank you so much everyone for your help. It's my first time receiving such a request, so I'm grateful that you all helped give me perspective on it. I let my clients know, so your help is very much appreciated.

So how many people do they want to have total??

Remember the ventilation system. If the system was not designed for these increased occupant loads the system will need to be addressed.