• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Indirect waste - elevation issue

MikeC

Silver Member
I recently ran into this during a final inspection at a restaurant. The plumber wasn't aware of the need for indirect waste (2009 IPC). I am trying to be as reasonable as possible, but I just don't see an easy fix for this one short of cutting up some concrete. Does anyone have any ideas on how to make this compliant with an easier fix?

https://drive.google.com/file/d/12eRmrzHKW7b49BBBlwCYyCvqkZPE-grb/view?usp=sharing

Or replace the sink with one with less deep compartments?? Either way, the next issue is possibly overflow of the indirect connection because the GI might not take all that flow at once....

Those are also sanitary tees on their backs.....The 2015 IPC now requires individual connections for each bay of a 3 bay....DUMB....

802.1.1 Food handling. Equipment and fixtures utilized
for the storage, preparation and handling of food shall discharge
through an indirect waste pipe by means of an air
gap. Each well of a multiple-compartment sink shall discharge
independently to a waste receptor.

Thanks for the help. An extra set of eyes always helps. I was focusing on the plumbing & never considered raising the sinks. As for each compartment having to drain independently, this permit was issued while we were still under the 2009 IPC, so that won't be a problem. The sizing of the GI is a concern at 40 lbs / 20 gpm. The owner isn't happy because his other two restaurants don't have air gaps.

how did a pot washing sink become a food pre sink the need indirect waste? the GI is not needed on a pot washing sink not a food prep sink in my area

how did a pot washing sink become a food pre sink the need indirect waste? the GI is not needed on a pot washing sink not a food prep sink in my area

Interesting you brought this up. I went back and looked. We are currently transitioning from the 2009 i-codes to the 2015. After reviewing the 2009 IPC section 802.1.8, I realized that this sink can be directly connected to the drainage system. 2015 IPC section 802.1.8 requires indirect waste (air gap or break) for sinks utilized for washing, rinsing, or sanitizing of utensils, dishes, pots, pans or serviceware.

As for the GI, the local sanitary authority required it.

Needless to say, the plumber & owner were extremely happy when I admitted that I had made a mistake.