• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Induction burner in food service establishment

klarenbeek

Silver Member
Has anyone dealt with induction burners used in food service establishments? They come in single or multi-burner configurations and are often countertop plug-and-play appliances. Until now I've only seen a single burner hot-plate type setup in like a cookie or cupcake shop where they use it to make frosting and never really worried about it. I saw a setup yesterday where a restaurant was using 6 of them in what they called their "prep and finish area" They have a full kitchen in the lower level, and a service counter on the upper level open to the dining area with a dumb waiter coming up from the kitchen. They added the six induction burners on the main level to give a quick saute for vegetables and final combining of items in pasta dishes. the meats and pastas are already cooked at this point but reheated/combined here. Owner says they are not frying with oil or grease, just sautéing--definition of sauteing is cooking in hot oil, plus there are jugs of olive oil on the counter by the burners.

These are technically ranges, and if you google commercial induction burner some of them are described as induction ranges. By code, all ranges in commercial food service establishments are considered medium duty appliances and so require a Type I hood no matter what the use is. Where do you draw the line?

Haven't looked into that yet, but IMC 507.1.2 requires domestic appliances utilized for commercial purposes to be provided with a type I or type II hood as required for the type of appliance. A residential range used for commercial purposes requires a Type I hood.

These are technically ranges, and if you google commercial induction burner some of them are described as induction ranges.
Some manufacturers do call a single or dual burner induction burner a "range" but they don't seem to be a range by definition or standards. I'd suggest these weren't common when current codes were developed, so another unanticipated development. They seem to be in the same category as toasters, crock pots, hot plates, popcorn poppers, waffle irons, etc. Ironic that the induction burners seem to be safer than some of the others, not being particularly hot themselves and shutting off when you lift the pan.

My take is that it is a medium duty appliance, and the cooking process is likely to produce grease vapors or smoke. Menu and process is a slippery slope for me. Approvals based on them should have solid language indicating the criteria for approval. I don't see the induction piece of the equation as making any difference. If 6 individual gas burners were proposed it would probably not be a question. I have a document from some time ago that gives a pretty good description of the available types of ranges. It has some good info on the induction ranges. According to that document these units have limiting controls because they can heat the cookware enough to melt the cookware, which is interesting.

Just got back from an onsite meeting that included the fire marshal and health inspector and we had a little more time to converse with the owners and assess what they are actually doing.. They are using these to reheat and combine only and not sauteing with oil. The oil bottles are extra virgin olive oil used for garnishes and dipping, not used in the cooking. There was zero greasy residue on the bottom side of the counter near the burners. We made the decision to keep evaluating these on a case by case basis and not lump them in with typical ranges (at least not yet). We don't want to take these away as an option for daycares for warming bottle or bakeries for making frosting, etc. Health and fire will keep an eye out for these when they do their annual/biannual checks to make sure they are not coking with grease/oil.

Sounds like a well reasoned decision klarenbeek.

If there are burners on carts or used at tables or serving tables - truly portable - are they exempt from hood? I think about a hotel restaurant with two gas burners for omelettes every morning in dining area. No hood. Just curious.