• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Inspector you are thirty minutes late

cda

Sawhorse 123
Contractor;:;

Inspector you are thirty minutes late!!!!

Inspector ::;

In this hustle and bustle world we live in,,,

¿¿¿¿It is nice to have a few minutes to set and reflect ????

My window is even bigger morning inspections are 930 to 1230 and afternoon is 130 to 500, I rarely make the contract stand the inspection and I do building inspection only, electrical and plumbing are handled by separate inspectors
I am a on man shop office, plan review and field inspections. I have an Administrative assistant who answers the phones.

We're there within 20 minutes of the appointment. I've only been late 2 times in 5 years.
I'm never late and I'm never early. Maybe it is the number of inspections I do in a day or maybe it's the way I inspect but any window smaller than three hours is not realistic and three hours is not always reliable.

Last edited:
We're there within 20 minutes of the appointment. I've only been late 2 times in 5 years.
That's because you are Canadian and not an American civil servant. My favorite late inspector story:

It was December 24th 1958, I ordered a foundation inspection for a room addition, this was before concrete pumps so we wheeled the concrete back to the addition, the time frame given was: "morning between 9:00 and 12:00", so I ordered concrete for 12:00. The truck showed up but no inspector, finally the teamster said: "I don't think you are going to see him today, he was on a job I poured earlier this morning and he was drunk as a skunk". I waited until 12:20 and told everyone to go ahead with the pour and I had 4 wheelbarrows lined up, around 1:00 the inspector showed up sober as a judge yelling at me, I told him what the teamster had said, had the teamster confirm that he had told us that, then asked the teamster to describe the drunk inspector, after the inspector heard the description he told me to go ahead, walked back and looked the forms and asked for my card, as he signed me off he told me to never do it again.

That's because you are Canadian and not an American civil servant. My favorite late inspector story:

It was December 24th 1958, I ordered a foundation inspection for a room addition, this was before concrete pumps so we wheeled the concrete back to the addition, the time frame given was: "morning between 9:00 and 12:00", so I ordered concrete for 12:00. The truck showed up but no inspector, finally the teamster said: "I don't think you are going to see him today, he was on a job I poured earlier this morning and he was drunk as a skunk". I waited until 12:20 and told everyone to go ahead with the pour and I had 4 wheelbarrows lined up, around 1:00 the inspector showed up sober as a judge yelling at me, I told him what the teamster had said, had the teamster confirm that he had told us that, then asked the teamster to describe the drunk inspector, after the inspector heard the description he told me to go ahead, walked back and looked the forms and asked for my card, as he signed me off he told me to never do it again.

Always to nice to have ammunition pictures in your pocket

I'm never late and I'm never early. Maybe it is the number of inspections I do in a day or maybe it's the way I inspect but any window smaller than three hours is not realistic and three hours is not always reliable.

Where does that three hour window fit on your car?? Not sure why three hour is required, my factory issued works great for WW Inpsections

I don't honestly believe it's because I'm Canadian. I work for a small municipality of just under 20,000 people with contractors who for the most part are professionals. When I get a call for an inspection they make sure they are ready and any corrections are made right away or within a day or two. I've rarely had to fail an inspection a second time. Between large territory and inspections requested before people are ready, a lot of time gets wasted and this affects everyone.

My favorite comeback:
"If you are willing to pay more for permits, I can hire enough people to make firm appointment times and be on time. By the way, please talk to your competition about doing better work so I don't have to spend so much time writing corrections before I get to your job."

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

For now, as formerly, every one is, more or less, for profiting by the labors of others. No one would dare to profess such a sentiment; he even hides it from himself; and then what is done? A medium is thought of; Government is applied to, and every class in its turn comes to it, and says, "You, who can take justifiably and honestly, take from the public, and we will partake." Alas! Government is only too much disposed to follow this diabolical advice, for it is composed of ministers and officials - of men, in short, who, like all other men, desire in their hearts, and always seize every opportunity with eagerness, to increase their wealth and influence. Government is not slow to perceive the advantages it may derive from the part which is entrusted to it by the public. It is glad to be the judge and the master of the destinies of all; it will take much, for then a large share will remain for itself; it will multiply the number of its agents; it will enlarge the circle of its privileges; it will end by appropriating a ruinous proportion. Frederic Bastiat, 1848

"Government is the great fiction through which everybody endeavors to live at the expense of everybody else."

For now, as formerly, every one is, more or less, for profiting by the labors of others. No one would dare to profess such a sentiment; he even hides it from himself; and then what is done? A medium is thought of; Government is applied to, and every class in its turn comes to it, and says, "You, who can take justifiably and honestly, take from the public, and we will partake." Alas! Government is only too much disposed to follow this diabolical advice, for it is composed of ministers and officials - of men, in short, who, like all other men, desire in their hearts, and always seize every opportunity with eagerness, to increase their wealth and influence. Government is not slow to perceive the advantages it may derive from the part which is entrusted to it by the public. It is glad to be the judge and the master of the destinies of all; it will take much, for then a large share will remain for itself; it will multiply the number of its agents; it will enlarge the circle of its privileges; it will end by appropriating a ruinous proportion. Frederic Bastiat, 1848

I like these steps::: Seems the USA is headed that way ;;;

http://didshesaythat.com/?p=515

My AHJ is preparing to roll out a computer based inspection program. The public will be able to request inspections online. They can pick the day and time. That's not a window of time but rather a specific time as in 8:00am 9:00am 10:00am. All I can say is good luck with that.

We are supposed to carry an ipad while performing the inspection entering the corrections as we go. That might be okay because we can talk to the damned thing and it will input corrections. Then the contractor can go to the internet to see the result. All I can say is good luck with that.

They're gonna need extra ipads.

The ipad will record our every move. I give it two months...three tops. The first inspector that walks off a plank because he was dicking around with an Ipad will be the last inspector to use one.

Last edited:
how will the request on the opposite end of the teritory be delt with as you pass a later inspection?

We now give a 2 hour window and get complaints. The County gives a window of "sometime today."
I don't like the fact that contractors have to sit around and wait but that's the way it is and they have to bid the jobs accordingly.

I use 9:00 to 12:00 and 10:00 to 3:00. I decide which band you're in. I am always at the office between 5:00 and 5:30AM. No breaks and I skip lunch ....and get off early afternoon. It has been this way for 23 years and this new ipad system is going to put a spotlight on me. I might end up a free agent.

My department would rather have inspectors that do not write corrections. This new system is taking us in that direction. Instead of doing ten to fifteen inspections I will have time for eight. I will be all over the map because we will let the people pick times on the hour and be expected to honor that. We will not be able to hand off an inspection to another inspector or help out without a bunch of BS on a computer. The inspections must happen in a defined order at each job. For example, there will not be a lath inspection prior to a framing inspection because the computer will kick it out. There might not be any framing to inspect but that doesn't matter to a computer.

There will be spreadsheets.....meetings to discuss spreadsheets......can't get a bonus for looking good on a spreadsheet.....can catch Hell if you don't. The more I think about this the better free agency sounds.

Last edited:
My AHJ is preparing to roll out a computer based inspection program. The public will be able to request inspections online. They can pick the day and time. That's not a window of time but rather a specific time as in 8:00am 9:00am 10:00am. All I can say is good luck with that.

We are supposed to carry an ipad while performing the inspection entering the corrections as we go. That might be okay because we can talk to the damned thing and it will input corrections. Then the contractor can go to the internet to see the result. All I can say is good luck with that.

They're gonna need extra ipads. They don't call me fumbles for nothing.

The ipad will record our every move. I give it two months...three tops. The first inspector that walks off a plank because he was dicking around with an Ipad will be the last inspector to use one.

iPads are not good in hot weather

We do provide times for inspections, but it is 20 minutes from one side of my municipality to the other.

In 9 years I have been late 2 times.

I will NEVER let the public pick their time or we would have to drastically reduce the number of inspections......We tell people if they schedule first, then they can be first...Other than that they get the 2 hour window...