• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Installing a GFCI Receptacle Under a Sink for a Dishwasher

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Since the 2014 NEC requires both AFCI and GFCI protection for a dishwasher it has become common practice to install a combination AFCI/GFCI receptacle beneath the sink for the dishwasher circuit.

Is it allowable by code to install this type of device beneath a sink?

Do you change your mind after you read NEC 210.8?

I don’t consider cleaning supplies an obstacle. Depending on the situation, the afci protection can be a receptacle...so maybe. The gfci can always be a receptacle under the sink...in fact, it must be if it is within 6ft. of the sink.

Last edited:
I don’t consider cleaning supplies an obstacle. Depending on the situation, the afci protection can be a receptacle...so maybe. The gfci can always be a receptacle under the sink...in fact, it must be if it is within 6ft. of the sink.

How many times is the receptacle obstructed by the disposal and trap arms?

How many times is the receptacle obstructed by the disposal and trap arms?
About half the time......but I’ve never not been able to operate the reset or plug the appliance cords in.

The space under a kitchen sink meets the readily accessible requirement. Like ICE, I've never not been able to test or reset a GFCI receptacle under a sink. The same cannot be said for obstacles in front of electrical panels in a garage. Namely snow blowers, lawn mowers and Pontiacs.