• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Insulation requirements

Brenden

So my house was recently damaged by fire and the assessor mentioned they would be replacing all exterior facing walls, however I live in an older home and the walls are not insulated. Would the contractor be required, by code, to install insulation when replacing the walls?

I live in zone 4.

Thanks!

Maybe if they pull a permit

Will insurance pay, more than likely not

Would I ask yes

Should you put it in YES

It would depend on your insurance policy. Here the insurance policy must be to reconstruct your home to current code.

Would the contractor be required, by code, to install insulation when replacing the walls?

I think "yes".
Section R102.7.1 Additions, alterations or repairs.
Additions, alterations or repairs to any structure shall conform to the
requirements for a new structure without requiring the existing structure
to comply with the requirements of this code,
unless otherwise stated.
Additions, alterations, repairs and relocations shall not cause an
existing structure to become unsafe or adversely affect the performance
of the building."

Hopefuly, you have an insurance rider for codes, laws, and ordinances.

N1101.3 (R101.4.3) Additions, alterations, renovations or repairs.
Additions, alterations, renovations or repairs to an existing building, building system or portion thereof shall conform to the provisions of this code as they relate to new construction without requiring the unaltered portion(s) of the existing building or building system to comply with this code. Additions, alterations, renovations or repairs shall not create an unsafe or hazardous condition or overload existing building systems. An addition shall be deemed to comply with this code if the addition alone complies or if the existing building and addition comply with this code as a single building.

Exception: The following need not comply provided the energy use of the building is not increased:

1. Storm windows installed over existing fenestration.

2. Glass only replacements in an existing sash and frame.

3. Existing ceiling, wall or floor cavities exposed during construction provided that these cavities are filled with insulation.

4. Construction where the existing roof, wall or floor cavity is not exposed.

5. Reroofing for roofs where neither the sheathing nor the insulation is exposed. Roofs without insulation in the cavity and where the sheathing or insulation is exposed during reroofing shall be insulated either above or below the sheathing.

6. Replacement of existing doors that separate conditioned space from the exterior shall not require the installation of a vestibule or revolving door, provided, however, that an existing vestibule that separates a conditioned space from the exterior shall not be removed.

7. Alterations that replace less than 50 percent of the luminaires in a space, provided that such alterations do not increase the installed interior lighting power.

8. Alterations that replace only the bulb and ballast within the existing luminaires in a space provided that the alteration does not increase the installed interior lighting power.