• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Insulation?

TimNY

Platinum Member
after my venting on the off topic board i did this inspection. Keep in mind I have already had them correct a lot of things at framing. Each rafter now has two simpson straps since they installed the wrong ones the first time around.So, on to insulation. The basement is being turned into a conditioned space (not on the plans). that's fine with me, we can amend the plans, but you do have to comply.Conditioned room next to unconditioned crawl spacebasement1.JPG[/attachment:3jdowj57]Something missingbasement2.JPG[/attachment:3jdowj57]You replaced all the other windows in the house, no this one cannot staybasement3.JPG[/attachment:3jdowj57]I couldn't see any insulation in the wall when I peered through the cracks. However, you can see some of that great bubble-foil insulation above the window.

View attachment 1301

View attachment 1302

View attachment 1303

View attachment 1301

View attachment 1302

View attachment 1303

/monthly_2010_05/basement1.JPG.c8f59023a5f17d1e623c1229aa7682d7.JPG

/monthly_2010_05/basement2.JPG.31459e16139dce5bc7e6c9aaa77fb0f2.JPG

/monthly_2010_05/basement3.JPG.98bc96855d468bbf99ed7df0022d58bc.JPG

Re: Insulation?

Is there a question here or are you just making comments?

Did you let them sheetrock over that air admittance valve?

Why do they have to replace the existing window?

I'm just wondering what this post is about. However I will go to Off Topic and read up on what you "vented" about.

Mule said:
Is there a question here or are you just making comments?Did you let them sheetrock over that air admittance valve?

Why do they have to replace the existing window?

I'm just wondering what this post is about. However I will go to Off Topic and read up on what you "vented" about.
Just making comments. It's not really about anything, just sharing pictures not unlike many other posts.

Right now they are taking wall coverings down, not installing them. I received a call from the insulation contractor, as he had never heard of this before.

I told them they have to leave the aav accessible, we'll see on final whether they remember.

The window.. Appendix J of the NYS Residential code (from the first page: "There are no margin bars shown in this appendix due to its substantial revision"). This is a "replacement building" AJ309.1, I'm not sure if that correlates to the regular ICC Residential code.

Okie Dokie.

Just wondering. Thanks for the explanation.

Mule said:
Okie Dokie.Just wondering. Thanks for the explanation.
No problem! I had an easy answer for that one, phew!

It does bring an interesting point. I assume you would allow a HO finishing his unconditioned basement (no other work being performed) to keep existing non-conforming windows (other than any egress requirement)?

I guess I need to click on "View your posts" more often.

TimNY said:
Mule said:
Okie Dokie.Just wondering. Thanks for the explanation.
No problem! I had an easy answer for that one, phew!

It does bring an interesting point. I assume you would allow a HO finishing his unconditioned basement (no other work being performed) to keep existing non-conforming windows (other than any egress requirement)?

Yes! Actually in our jurisdiction if the total amount of remodeling does not exceed $50,000 or is less than 50% of the appraised value, then all "old stuff" can remain.

In NYS I have a double-whammy,

first, i have AJ102.3, "Additions or alterations shall not be made to an existing building or structure which will cause the existing building or structure to be in violation with any of the provisions of this code"

then I have AJ601.4 (which falls under our "Alterations - Level 2" category) "The work performed shall not increase the extent of noncompliance with the requirements of this code or create nonconformity with those requirements that did not previously exist"

So a homeowner who has a home with an unfinished basement. If they decide to condition it, the thermal envelope is extended around the basement. If things aren't compliant with current code, they have created a non-conformity and caused the building to be in violation of the provisions of the energy code.

Now, not to say a RDP couldn't possibly work some magic with REScheck, but barring that.. must comply with prescriptive requirements of current code.

new work.. current code... unless there is an exception locally, an egress window or door is required if you are creating habitable space. You'll need to insulate the wall abutting the crawl space (and probably provide access to it), if it doesn't already exist.

Doesn't look like the best framing job, but it's always kind of tough to tell from pictures, if you aren't the photographer.

The AAV needs ventilation, not just access..

Is the exterior of the foundation insulated? That might reduce the amount needed on the interior. I agree that if this was not habitable space and now it is living space the window needs to comply with new construction (and the insulation also). Is that a CMU wall outside the window? What does the primary egress look like, will it be the stairs to the first floor and are they capable of complying? Or will they need to add a door directly to outside from this space? I love these "finds", happens to me all the time. Last one, the egress window RO was large enough so that if a casement were installed it met egress, but it was too high off the floor. Then we had the whole "raise the floor" discussion. I approved a raised platform (two steps up) that was the size of a minimum stair landing (36" x 36" excluding the two tread depths). They lived with it. (Oh, and it is "permanently" installed, bolted to the floor).

peach: points well taken. space has a full size door to exit to the outside. i had them remove the wall covering and install insulation in all the walls, including those abutting the crawlspace (we had a lengthy discussion regarding why). framing job was satisfactory; none of the walls are load bearing. i will see what they have for me on the aav at the next inspection-- usually i see an hvac return grill.

heaven: no insulation on the outside. I had suggested it as a possible option, but they determined it would be too difficult to retrofit the siding to accommodate the increased thickness of the foundation walls (cedar shingles already installed on exterior)