• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Interior Door at top of stair- level change

Kessel

Hello Everyone.
I am working on a renovation and have ended up with the following condition. The existing stair does not meet code (risers are 8+ inches) so I need to redesign the stair and ad a couple of risers to make it compliant in order to reach an upstairs addition. I am wondering if the condition below (i.e. having the last riser be directly beneath the door) is acceptable? I do not see anything that expressly forbids this, but it is unusual so I am curious if any of you have any thoughts on it? We are operating under IRC 2018 - this is a single family residence.
Thanks in advance for the help.

stairs.jpg

IRC 311.7.6 Exception says: "A floor or landing is not required at the top of an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an enclosed garage, provided that a door does not swing over the stairs." This appears to comply.

IRC 311.7.6 Exception says: "A floor or landing is not required at the top of an interior flight of stairs, including stairs in an enclosed garage, provided that a door does not swing over the stairs." This appears to comply.
That was my thought as well, thanks for commenting.

If i was the customer, i would complain.
I work very closely with my clients throughout the design process. I will review this with them and discuss the pro's and con's and let them decide whether this is a workable solution for them, or whether they would like spend quite a bit more money to achieve a more traditional solution. Unfortunately with renovations the decision often comes down to budget. If this where a new house, I would not design it this way.

I do not believe that step is at the top of the flight of stairs which is the code language. You would somewhat expect that condition as the door would be also at the top of the flight. This is actually a separate individual step from the landing and not a part of the flight of stairs and the step would not be anticipated, and therefore hazardous. But I do not do residential.