• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Intermediate turnaround direction?

Yikes

Gold Member
In the image below, "Figure "B", it doesn't say which direction the fire trucks are coming from.
I would like to use this figure "B" as a dead-end turnaround at the end of a site that is 500' long and only 100' wide (too narrow for T-turnaround Figure "A").
the red bar marks the end of the site.
I'm hoping that the trucks can approach from the direction marked "1". Does that work?

1672781141931.png

Attachments

• 1672780732390.png
    1672780732390.png
    141.5 KB · Views: 1
I would say yes. Take a look at Appendix D in the IFC. What you are describing is used as an alternative to the hammerhead. However, the version in Appendix D does not give a minimum dimension on the terminated end (where you have shown a red line). Using the hammerhead as a guide, the terminated end should be at least 60 feet from the centerline of the intersection.

RGLA, in the drawing above ( from LA County Fire Code), the distance from the dead end to the centerline is 27’ + 10’ + (1/2 of 28’) = 51’.

What I can’t figure out in the sketch is why one leg is 27’ and the other is 35’.

RGLA, in the drawing above ( from LA County Fire Code), the distance from the dead end to the centerline is 27’ + 10’ + (1/2 of 28’) = 51’.

What I can’t figure out in the sketch is why one leg is 27’ and the other is 35’.
I cannot say, either. I guess the LACFD is unbalanced. :p

It may be a good idea to have your civil (or someone with a swept path simulation software, like AutoTURN) model LA County's fire apparatus. We had a multi-family project on a tough site that I had to model a tractor-drawn aerial truck ("hook-and-ladder") to determine what we needed for a dead-end hammerhead.

Would they allow bat-wings in the Right-of-Way above the top of the curb? Forms a cal-de-sac like figure-C

Not much different from the State Fire Code, 2019 California Fire Code, Title 24, Part 9​

1672851447022.png