• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC Non-Rectangular Stair Landings

Glenn

I try to share code education in a positive way to non-code-loving people in my Know The Code column in Fine Homebuilding Magazine. The 2012 IRC included a new provision for maximum freedom in stair landing design and I explain it in this month's article.

I just finished a session video for a new On-Demand course at BuildingCodeCollege.com and thought I'd share the clip that visually supports this article and code subject.

Contractors, the more you learn code, the more you learn what what you CAN do. Inspectors, the more you learn the absolute minimum standard, the more you support the line that balances safety and liberty. Thank you.

The "key" to your comments are "Home" and residential Glenn. the clear width in commercial of a stair must be maintained floor to floor.

The "key" to your comments are "Home" and residential Glenn. the clear width in commercial of a stair must be maintained floor to floor.
Posted in the IRC part of the forum, but I fixed the title. IBC egress is a way, way different animal, of course. And of course you know I know that... ;):rolleyes:

I know it looks that way, if this were a winder tread. However, this is a landing and the 6 inches does not apply. In my full class that this comes from, the significance and details between winders and weird landings are discussed. This video clip, however, is all about landings only.

Last edited: