• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

IRC Prescriptive Foundation CH 4 Translator Needed.....

righter101

Gold Member
Info:

IRC, single family dwelling, 2 story, SDC D1

Trying to determine prescriptive foundation wall thicknesses.......

R404.1.2 States that foundation walls supporting light frame construction shall follow using “this section”. The following subsection, R404.1.2.1 “Concrete Cross-Section” refers to Table 611.3 for guidance on wall thickness.

When reading 611.2 (the applicability limits of the use of table 611.3), I find that the project I am dealing with would be excluded from use of table 611.3 (due to seismic design category.) In the event of this, provisions for use of ACI or PCA publications are referenced.

The confusion I have is when I get to section 404.1.4.2 “concrete foundation walls”, specifically for Seismic Zone D. 404.1.4.2 provides some basic wall thickness requirements, which is what I am seeking. It is, however, unclear, if/when this section may be used. It appears from the following text that I may be precluded from using this section.

Section 404.1.2.2.2 “Concrete foundation stem walls supporting light-frame above grade walls” item 1, discusses stem walls not laterally supported at the top, with <48” of fill, shall be constructed in accordance with R404.1.2.

This is the scenario I have, less than 48” of fill, walls not laterally supported by a slab. This section appears to refer back to 404.1.2, which directs to table 611.3, which appears I am precluded from using because of Seismic Design Category.

Is this correct? Under what conditions or circumstances can 404.1.4 be used?

Thanks.

If the foundation walls a supporting "light frame constructon" (wood) then section 404 is applicable

If your exterior walls are concrete of masonry and you are in a sesmic zone "D" then you are out of the prescriptive requirements of section 611