• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is it a shaft? an atrium?

nealderidder

Sawhorse
I'm working on an existing four story office building. The big idea is to open up a two story space (think wide corridor) through the entire building. This two-story common space would connect a southern exterior entry to a northern exterior entry.

Simple enough so far but I'd also like to get some daylight into that two-story space. So pop a couple of large skylights on the roof (16'x16') and build a "shaft" through floors 3 and 4 to connect to the two-story commons.

So is that "shaft" through 3 & 4 a shaft or an atrium?

CBC 713 tells me I need a 2 hour shaft enclosure where connecting 4 stories.

CBC 404 tells me I need smoke control but I can also enclose that shaft with glass at the 3rd and 4th floors if I throw in some extra sprinklers.

I'm thinking atrium and want to surround it with glass but thought I would see if opinions differ.

Thanks,

Attachments

• Plan_section atrium.jpg
    Plan_section atrium.jpg
    88.4 KB · Views: 8
Sounds to me like an atrium at the first and second levels, and then (2) shafts through the 3rd and 4th.

Not a Cali guy, so I'll stay out of the code sections.

Last edited:
1st and 2nd are open to each other. 3rd and 4th will be surrounded by glass so not really "open".

Not sure what section in CBC it is but should either be 712.1.9 Two Story Opening.

Not sure if that helps you any???

I'm on the road and don't have access to an IBC, but if I remember correctly from a past project, the separation at the 3rd & 4th floor needs to be at least one hour rated, or greater if required by the construction type. California might have different requirements.