• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is panic hardware required in accessory A occupancies?

Tim Mailloux

So doors serving more that 50 occupants in a group A occupancy require panic hardware if the door has a latch or lock. Does the same apply to accessory A occupancies? Consider a renovation to a large corporate office, part of the renovation includes several very large accessory assembly rooms with more than 50 occupants in each of these rooms. Do these accessory spaces require panic hardware? I have always assumed they do, but in this case im getting some push back.

1010.1.10 Panic and fire exit hardware.
Doors serving a Group H occupancy and doors serving rooms or spaces with an occupant load of 50 or more in a Group A or E occupancy shall not be provided with a latch or lock other than panic hardware or fire exit hardware.

Yes...

508.2.1 Occupancy classification. Accessory occupancies shall be individually classified in accordance with Section 302.1. The requirements of this code shall apply to
each portion of the building based on the occupancy classification of that space.

""rooms or spaces """

Do said rooms have two exits???
yes they do.
The owner is pushing back on this requirement. They want frameless glass doors in a frameless butt glazed partition, and the system does not work with panic hardware. We told them this wouldn't be an issue as long as the doors had push / pulls and did not lock or latch. Now several weeks latter they want the doors to all lock.

Yes...

508.2.1 Occupancy classification. Accessory occupancies shall be individually classified in accordance with Section 302.1. The requirements of this code shall apply to
each portion of the building based on the occupancy classification of that space.

You had better of said yes. You were the first person to point this out to me when you made me add panic hardware to an accessory A occupancy space years ago on one of my projects.

yes they do.
The owner is pushing back on this requirement. They want frameless glass doors in a frameless butt glazed partition, and the system does not work with panic hardware. We told them this wouldn't be an issue as long as the doors had push / pulls and did not lock or latch. Now several weeks latter they want the doors to all lock.

Love it

Let them put some delay device or mag lock, and pretty them up.

So with two exits, do they want glass on both doors???

You had better of said yes. You were the first person to point this out to me when you made me add panic hardware to an accessory A occupancy space years ago on one of my projects.

Well...I am consistent, that's good! And that is why I let people beat down the fixture count on the B as long as egress is good with A.....In those type of spaces...

Have the glass doors pre- drilled to the panic hardware with pretty fasteners and plates on the back.

I am yes the doors from the room that have over 50 need to have panic hardware and all the doors from those rooms to the and including the exit if latching also

There was a project we had in a city sticking close to the code and we we removed the latch and put signs on the doors "Push to Exit" and they allowed this. Per code, it works. We even did this on a card reader doors.

There was a project we had in a city sticking close to the code and we we removed the latch and put signs on the doors "Push to Exit" and they allowed this. Per code, it works. We even did this on a card reader doors.
Correct....only when there is a latch does it have to be panic hardware...No hardware, no panic.....No sign either....

have to explain the card reader set up

my issue is that the client wants locking doors, but the all glass partition / door system ( no frames or jambs) does not offer panic hardware as part of their proprietary system. So if they want locks on these doors they need to use a different wall & door system, if they wants to use this all glass wall / door system they don't get locks.

if for just unoccupied then use a dead blot at the bottom and sign this door must remain unlocked during occupancy

Technically...Can't do that....
I think you can under the 2018 IBC with electrically locked egress doors

1010.1.9.9 Sensor release of electrically locked egress doors.
Sensor release of electric locking systems shall be permitted on doors located in the means of egress in any occupancy except Group H where installed and operated in accordance with all of the following criteria:

1. The sensor shall be installed on the egress side, arranged to detect an occupant approaching the doors, and shall cause the electric locking system to unlock.

2. The electric locks shall be arranged to unlock by a signal from or loss of power to the sensor.

3. Loss of power to the lock or locking system shall automatically unlock the electric locks.

4. The doors shall be arranged to unlock from a manual unlocking device located 40 inches to 48 inches (1016 mm to 1219 mm) vertically above the floor and within 5 feet (1524 mm) of the secured doors. Ready access shall be provided to the manual unlocking device and the device shall be clearly identified by a sign that reads “PUSH TO EXIT.” When operated, the manual unlocking device shall result in direct interruption of power to the electric lock—independent of other electronics—and the electric lock shall remain unlocked for not less than 30 seconds.

5. Activation of the building fire alarm system, where provided, shall automatically unlock the electric lock, and the electric lock shall remain unlocked until the fire alarm system has been reset.

6. Activation of the building automatic sprinkler system or fire detection system, where provided, shall automatically unlock the electric lock. The electric lock shall remain unlocked until the fire alarm system has been reset.

7. The door locking system units shall be listed in accordance with UL 294.

I think you can under the 2018 IBC with electrically locked egress doors

1010.1.9.9 Sensor release of electrically locked egress doors.
Sensor release of electric locking systems shall be permitted on doors located in the means of egress in any occupancy except Group H where installed and operated in accordance with all of the following criteria:

1. The sensor shall be installed on the egress side, arranged to detect an occupant approaching the doors, and shall cause the electric locking system to unlock.

2. The electric locks shall be arranged to unlock by a signal from or loss of power to the sensor.

3. Loss of power to the lock or locking system shall automatically unlock the electric locks.

4. The doors shall be arranged to unlock from a manual unlocking device located 40 inches to 48 inches (1016 mm to 1219 mm) vertically above the floor and within 5 feet (1524 mm) of the secured doors. Ready access shall be provided to the manual unlocking device and the device shall be clearly identified by a sign that reads “PUSH TO EXIT.” When operated, the manual unlocking device shall result in direct interruption of power to the electric lock—independent of other electronics—and the electric lock shall remain unlocked for not less than 30 seconds.

5. Activation of the building fire alarm system, where provided, shall automatically unlock the electric lock, and the electric lock shall remain unlocked until the fire alarm system has been reset.

6. Activation of the building automatic sprinkler system or fire detection system, where provided, shall automatically unlock the electric lock. The electric lock shall remain unlocked until the fire alarm system has been reset.

7. The door locking system units shall be listed in accordance with UL 294.

As a Guru has said

“ Not Equal to Panic Hardware, And does not meet Panic Hardware UL requirements