• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is store owner required to maintain parking lot

ckc189

I can not find any codes that require a parking lot to be maintained. There is a 6" drop off between the asphalt and the gravel where the gravel has eroded and there have been complaints. I am in florida. Any help will be appreciated. This area is not between the handicap parking spot and the entrance to the building, so I dont know what it would fall under. There is a tire pump in the area if it makes a difference. Thanks.

ckc189

Maintenance is up to the lease agreement, not the building codes. You will need to check into what your lease says.
I know there are other references throughout the building code like maintaining the same level of accessibility or means of egress, so I was wondering if there is something similar for a parking lot. I don't think it falls into an accessible area or a means of egress though.

classicT

Sawhorse
I know there are other references throughout the building code like maintaining the same level of accessibility or means of egress, so I was wondering if there is something similar for a parking lot. I don't think it falls into an accessible area or a means of egress though.
Correct, if not a means of egress or an accessible feature, the building code does not prescribe maintenance. If locally adopted, the IPMC may say something.

e hilton

Bronze Member
Sounds like the asphalt is the parking area and the gravel is the driveway. As long as the parking area is reasonably level and safe, you are going to have a hard time forcing the owner to fix the offset. Start by calling code enforcement in the town.

ckc189

Sounds like the asphalt is the parking area and the gravel is the driveway. As long as the parking area is reasonably level and safe, you are going to have a hard time forcing the owner to fix the offset. Start by calling code enforcement in the town.
Not really, it separates a gravel parking area in the back from an asphalt parking area in the front. It is a trip hazard in my opinion because they know people are walking by there, I just dont have a code to back it up

Joe.B

Start by calling code enforcement in the town.
If locally adopted, the IPMC may say something.
references throughout the building code

The building code is really designed to regulate construction. Once a building is complete then it passes to other regulations. Each local municipality has certain codes adopted, and so does each state. If you're not able to get answers from your local jurisdiction the next step is to do some internet research to see what codes are applicable in your area. As mentioned, IPMC 302.3, if your locality has adopted it.

jar546

Chief Cook & Bottlewasher
Most local jurisdictions & counties have property maintenance ordinances in Florida.
If this affects accessibility under the ADA then the DOJ comes into play.

bill1952

Sawhorse
It would seem worth determining if ownership of both is the same or different.

Does anyone using the egress from the building have to walk across that to get to the public way?

e hilton

Bronze Member
Not really, it separates a gravel parking area in the back from an asphalt parking area in the front.
Ok, so part of the parking area is asphalt, the owner is going to tell you that area is for people who need a smooth surface. The gravel parking area … it really isn’5 any different than parking on the grass at a county fair, or overflow parking at a nascar track.

I can not find any codes that require a parking lot to be maintained. There is a 6" drop off between the asphalt and the gravel where the gravel has eroded and there have been complaints. I am in florida. Any help will be appreciated. This area is not between the handicap parking spot and the entrance to the building, so I dont know what it would fall under. There is a tire pump in the area if it makes a difference. Thanks.
From the 2010 -DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE-28 CFR Part 36 [CRT Docket No. 106; AG Order No. 3181–2010]
RIN 1190–AA44 Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability by Public Accommodations and in Commercial Facilities-AGENCY: Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division.
ACTION: Final rule.
§ 36.211 Maintenance of accessible features.
(a) A public accommodation shall maintain in operable working condition those features of facilities and equipment that are required to be readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities by the Act or this part.

Other references in the 2010 ADA Standard.
Advisory 407.1 General. The ADA and other Federal civil rights laws require that accessible features be maintained in working order so that they are accessible to and usable by those people they are intended to benefit. Building owners should note that the ASME Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators requires routine maintenance and inspections. Isolated or temporary interruptions in service due to maintenance or repairs may be unavoidable; however, failure to take prompt action to effect repairs could constitute a violation of Federal laws and these requirements.
Advisory 1008.2.6 Ground Surfaces. Ground surfaces must be inspected and maintained regularly to ensure continued compliance with the ASTM F 1951 standard. The type of surface material selected and play area use levels will determine the frequency of inspection and maintenance activities.
405.8 Handrails. Ramp runs with a rise greater than 6 inches (150 mm) shall have handrails complying with 505.EXCEPTION: Within employee work areas, handrails shall not be required where ramps that are part of common use circulation paths are designed to permit the installation of handrails complying with 505. Ramps not subject to the exception to 405.5 shall be designed to maintain a 36 inch (915 mm) minimum clear width when handrails are installed.
From Page 55 Guidance on the 2010 Standard DOJ -
In those cases, it may be the case that the facility has an obligation to meet the alterations or barrier removal requirements
or to maintain accessible features.

FYI - 36.211 Maintenance of accessible features is from the-Title III Regulations Revised Final Title III Regulation with Integrated Text

ADAguy

Sawhorse
From the 2010 -DEPARTMENT OF JUSTICE-28 CFR Part 36 [CRT Docket No. 106; AG Order No. 3181–2010]
RIN 1190–AA44 Nondiscrimination on the Basis of Disability by Public Accommodations and in Commercial Facilities-AGENCY: Department of Justice, Civil Rights Division.
ACTION: Final rule.
§ 36.211 Maintenance of accessible features.
(a) A public accommodation shall maintain in operable working condition those features of facilities and equipment that are required to be readily accessible to and usable by persons with disabilities by the Act or this part.

Other references in the 2010 ADA Standard.
Advisory 407.1 General. The ADA and other Federal civil rights laws require that accessible features be maintained in working order so that they are accessible to and usable by those people they are intended to benefit. Building owners should note that the ASME Safety Code for Elevators and Escalators requires routine maintenance and inspections. Isolated or temporary interruptions in service due to maintenance or repairs may be unavoidable; however, failure to take prompt action to effect repairs could constitute a violation of Federal laws and these requirements.
Advisory 1008.2.6 Ground Surfaces. Ground surfaces must be inspected and maintained regularly to ensure continued compliance with the ASTM F 1951 standard. The type of surface material selected and play area use levels will determine the frequency of inspection and maintenance activities.
405.8 Handrails. Ramp runs with a rise greater than 6 inches (150 mm) shall have handrails complying with 505.EXCEPTION: Within employee work areas, handrails shall not be required where ramps that are part of common use circulation paths are designed to permit the installation of handrails complying with 505. Ramps not subject to the exception to 405.5 shall be designed to maintain a 36 inch (915 mm) minimum clear width when handrails are installed.
From Page 55 Guidance on the 2010 Standard DOJ -
In those cases, it may be the case that the facility has an obligation to meet the alterations or barrier removal requirements
or to maintain accessible features.
Spot on! Jean