• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Is this a building?

phillier937

An architect submitted a revision to the approved drawings with this storage area added to the dumpster enclosure. Ohio building code has an exception for storage accessories up to 120 SF. This is 160 SF of enclosed area. So is it a building? It has lights but no mechanical - they just have a louver in the door and some vents along the roof line. I was going to consider it it a building on the same lot per 503. If it is a building what should I review - are there required ventilation rates? does the energy code apply?

dumpster2.png

2015 IBC language

I don't think it is habitable so I wound not go down the questions about lighting or ventilation.
Not in the list of exempt from permitting 105.2
The structure has a zoning component, hopefully it is part of a plan for site development and meets any requirements for setback or other such issues.
1660134446097.png1660134495506.png1660134275410.png1660134373358.png

Agreed, definitely a structure. To answer the original question, yes it's a building.

Sort of related, when would you consider a shipping container to be a "structure"? My answer to the question when it was brought to me was based on use. If someone just parked a shipping container on private land and uses it for private storage, I'm not too concerned. As soon as someone is using it for commercial purposes, allowing access by employees, or is used in an area that's open to the public, then I care.

IRC you get a gimmie...Commercial, not so much....

R302.1 Exterior walls. Construction, projections, openings
and penetrations of exterior walls of dwellings and accessory
buildings shall comply with Table R302.1(1); or dwellings
equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system
installed in accordance with Section P2904 shall comply
with Table R302.1(2).
Exceptions:
1. Walls, projections, openings or penetrations in walls
perpendicular to the line used to determine the fire
separation distance.
2. Walls of dwellings and accessory structures located
on the same lot.

I would say that drawing shows a building, and the size is 460+ sf. Once they added on the storage space, the entire set of combined walls becomes the building.

IRC you get a gimmie...Commercial, not so much....

R302.1 Exterior walls. Construction, projections, openings
and penetrations of exterior walls of dwellings and accessory
buildings shall comply with Table R302.1(1); or dwellings
equipped throughout with an automatic sprinkler system
installed in accordance with Section P2904 shall comply
with Table R302.1(2).
Exceptions:
1. Walls, projections, openings or penetrations in walls
perpendicular to the line used to determine the fire
separation distance.
2. Walls of dwellings and accessory structures located
on the same lot.
Steveray, I don't understand you point

Agreed, definitely a structure. To answer the original question, yes it's a building.

Sort of related, when would you consider a shipping container to be a "structure"? My answer to the question when it was brought to me was based on use. If someone just parked a shipping container on private land and uses it for private storage, I'm not too concerned. As soon as someone is using it for commercial purposes, allowing access by employees, or is used in an area that's open to the public, then I care.
Shipping containers are another variation of a prefabricated storage shed, they are both a building for sporting or sheltering any use or occupancy, and a structure. So when asked we treat them just like sheds for both zoning and building permits.