• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

It depends

swerve

I can't believe that i haven't joined this forum before now. :)

Been involved with the building code for eight years now and am still learning as i go, i have a keen interest in accessibility and it continues to amaze me how contractors ( not all ) just do not want to do the right thing ( its all about the money).

I think this is going to be a great place to pick other peoples brains on that grey area in the code. It will be interesting to see how other jurisdictions address the code.

Please go easy on me if i ask a easy or stupid question, i think this is why so few people speak out when we have to go to mandatory training for fear of looking stupid in front of others.

swerve said:
so few people speak out when we have to go to mandatory training for fear of looking stupid in front of others.
I have a bigger concern about getting it wrong. There's nothing worse than a person in authority that doesn't know what they are doing.Most of the folks here will give you a View attachment 877

learning about ADA and there's more than one expert on the subject.....but you shouldn't pay much attention to anything I come up with.View attachment 877

/monthly_2013_09/hand_shake_door_knob_zps9f336d47.jpg.162d56c6ca7064a4f0291a4da2d0c345.jpg

Last edited by a moderator:
Welcome

Do you mind saying what state you are in??

Sometimes it helps, do not need the city

We only pick on posters when the day of the week ends in "day"

swerve said:
I can't believe that i haven't joined this forum before now. :) Been involved with the building code for eight years now and am still learning as i go, i have a keen interest in accessibility and it continues to amaze me how contractors ( not all ) just do not want to do the right thing ( its all about the money).

I think this is going to be a great place to pick other peoples brains on that grey area in the code. It will be interesting to see how other jurisdictions address the code.

Please go easy on me if i ask a easy or stupid question, i think this is why so few people speak out when we have to go to mandatory training for fear of looking stupid in front of others.
When you say "right thing" do you mean they do not want to do what's on the plans and build to code? Like what they have bid?

Or when you say "right thing" do you mean building without plans and having a bunch of circumstances and regulations imposed on them they where unaware of in the bidding process?

Or is the "right thing" adhering to a bunch of regulations that some of us don't necessarily agree with but do anyway since we are good citizens of 'merica and try to comply with overbearing stupidity whether we agree or not?

Just getting my bearings.

Brent.

Welcome

Verify everything.

Look it up, yourself

Even though they call it the International Building Code, Codes are different in different states and many building officials interpret the code sections differently.

And you need a thick skin, there are some that are naysayers and like to take pot shots at people.

Oh yes, if/when you can become a sawhorse

MASSDRIVER said:
When you say "right thing" do you mean they do not want to do what's on the plans and build to code? Like what they have bid?Or when you say "right thing" do you mean building without plans and having a bunch of circumstances and regulations imposed on them they where unaware of in the bidding process?

Or is the "right thing" adhering to a bunch of regulations that some of us don't necessarily agree with but do anyway since we are good citizens of 'merica and try to comply with overbearing stupidity whether we agree or not?

Just getting my bearings.

Brent.
I've met those contractors. Sometimes, all three show up on the same project. Crooks and dummies seldom do the right thing. The third one is the worst of the bunch. They know that everybody is there to do a job but they p!ss and moan the entire time.

ICE said:
I've met those contractors. Sometimes, all three show up on the same project. Crooks and dummies seldom do the right thing. The third one is the worst of the bunch. They know that everybody is there to do a job but they p!ss and moan the entire time.
If you are going to take ****ing and moaning away then the hell with everything.

Brent.

fatboy said:
Well, I will just say welcome for now........jump in, the water is fine............
The water is fine? Did you miss all of the peeing that's going on?

Welcome to the forum! You will find a wealth of knowledge here, and a lot of discussion on what is right, wrong, etc. Don't be afraid to post, we don't bite (much). ;)

Sue

Thanks for the replies folks.

When i say they don't want to do the right thing, examples like grab bars, signage for bathrooms, not doing a walk through before calling for an inspection ( i think they either want a punch list or they hope you don't do a thorough inspection ) contractors that do refurbs on fast food restaurants but never call for the final before moving on to the next job in the next state or county.

I think i will become a sawhorse in the next week or so, good money spent for so much useful information.

Thanks to all in advance.

PS I'm from Virginia, i'll add it to my info. :)

I like to use DPOR as a last resort. Where are you in Virginia (approx) if you don't mind? I am near but not in Richmond. P.M. It if you like. Just curious.