• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Jurisdictions with vs. without codes

GREEN

Does anyone have data on failures/safety statistics in jurisdictions without code enforcment vs. ones with enforcments

more then likely to hard to quantify, to many variables

I do know that from cities that do annual vs those that do not do annual fires and violations seem to be higher in the "do nots"

That is personal observation only though

always wondered how jusisdictions without adopted codes cite violations without being "arbitrary".. "the way we did it when I worked here or there"..

Around here, the jurisdictions without local codes will often say, "if the state fire marshal's office is ok with it, we're ok with it."

I have a NIST or FPRF (I believe) study relating to fire safety inspection programs in the office and will link it when I get back in the office. It may be helpful.

All things being equal...

Jurisdictions without local codes are probably on the lower socio-economic scale. If they do not have local codes they probably do not have much for enforcement or data collection on loss/damage related to code. The NFIRS system is designed for fire departments to submit data on fires. However, it is a voluntary system with purse strings for departments getting federal grants. I have worked at the State level in regards to this kind of data and small communities were the least likely to submit data.

If the data was available it might change the course of discussions at code hearings.