• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Just because the engineered stamped it don't hesitate to question them

mtlogcabin

SAWHORSE
We questioned the original foundation house plans when the truss plans had 3 girder trusses with over 30,000 lb point loads for each truss. The engineer shot off a stamped letter saying the footers where okay for the loads. We asked again and this was the response.

XXXX,

Attached is a updated letter from Mr. XXXXXXX regarding the Truss-Girder Bearing Requirements. He and I are both glad that you asked again because after recalculation spread footings are required under three (3) of the truss-girders. The attached letter and table has been updated to reflect the three truss girders that require spread footings, he stated that all other footings were okay as-is.

Would you please email or call me back to ensure that you have received this email and the attached revised letter. My cell phone number is XXX-XXXX

Sincerely,

Bxxx Xxxxxxx

This is a large firm the works in 4 states that I am aware of. Everybody makes mistakes and it is nice to see their attitude was appreciative of our persistance

I had something similar happen with a tower that was adding cell antennas. I reviewed the data and kicked it back, and sure enough it would have failed. They were very happy that it was caught.