• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Key Largo Rise- Run

Thats not your territory. Was that on your mpg check route? Looks like the first riser might have been ok until the loose pavers were laid. No nose overhang. Handrail doesn't extend far enough.

Pea Gravel and Aqua Marine stucco, seems reasonable

? Maybe the pavers dropped from original install or maybe not... but what type of wood can you burry in the sand like that? or is laminate over concrete.

But EH - no handrail visible, just a support post, the handrail might be on the wall or running over the support post with a compliant safety terminal....

Thats not your territory. Was that on your mpg check route? Looks like the first riser might have been ok until the loose pavers were laid. No nose overhang. Handrail doesn't extend far enough.
Our Public Works Director stayed there this weekend with the new owner and even he knew this was not right.

tbz ... I was referring to the handrail on the right side of the picture. Looks like it does not extend far enough. Since we cant see a wall mounted rail because of the angle of thevpicture ... we can assume it is correct. <snork>

tbz ... I was referring to the handrail on the right side of the picture. Looks like it does not extend far enough. Since we cant see a wall mounted rail because of the angle of thevpicture ... we can assume it is correct. <snork>
E/H that was my point you can't see the "handrail" you only see the support post...

Thus safety terminations - on residential handrails (IRC) 90% of the time terminate with the post on the middle of the bottom tread and or it could be considered a newel post which is allowed to terminate the handrail on the tread and not extend to the bottom riser vertical line.

Public Works Director sleeping with the new owners. Is that the policy there?
He and his wife are friends with the owners and the location in question is 4 counties and 3 hours away and has nothing to do with the jurisdiction of the Public Works Director so I am not sure where you are going with this.

The Director of Public Works is the director,.... of public works. For our town he is in charge of the water department, sewer system, facilities maintenance, & street department. We have our own water plant that provides all water for the town.

The Director of Public Works is the director,.... of public works. For our town he is in charge of the water department, sewer system, facilities maintenance, & street department. We have our own water plant that provides all water for the town.
In my Town he is my boss....