1. ATTENTION returning members. If you are coming here from the old forum for the first time, you will need to reset you password. However, we had an email problem getting password reset links set out to a lot of the email addresses. That problem is temporarily rectified but IF you still have an issue, email me direct at info@thebuildingcodeforum.com and I will give you a temporary password.
    Dismiss Notice
  2. Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by clicking here: Upgrades
    Dismiss Notice

Kitchenette Sink Mixing Valve Req'd?

Discussion in 'Commercial Plumbing Codes' started by Mech, Jun 19, 2017.

1. Mech

Mech Sawhorse

2009 IPC

Does a kitchenette sink in an office break room need a thermostatic mixing valve to regulate water temperature to 110 deg F max (similar to a lav) or can I skip the mixing valve and supply 140 deg F water?

Thanks in advance.

2. north star

north star Sawhorse

@ ~ @

Mech,

Section 416.5 in the `09 IPC requires a temperature limiting
    valve for your application [ i.e. - public hand washing ].

@ ~ @

3. FLSTF01

FLSTF01 Sawhorse

2012 IPC 607.1: Hot water is required for culinary purposes. Tempered water requires a limiting device, hot water does not. Refer to the definitions.

4. JBI

JBI Sawhorse

I'm not convinced that an office break room rises to the level of 'culinary purposes', more likely to be used for hand and coffee mug washing.

5. Sifu

Sifu Gold Member

I think hot water is permitted for a break room sink. I don't think it is intended for bathing or washing of the human body and is intended for the washing of dishes and cups. Hot water in a non-residential occupancy does not need a limiting device.

6. HForester

HForester Member

The 2015 IPC clarified the tempered water requirement: Only for lavaotory and group wash fixtures in public toilet facilities for customers, patrons and visitors.

7. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Thank you HF, good points

8. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Also note the purpose of the device is safety and comfort, not sanitary. You will be scalded before the water is ever hot enough to sanitize you.

9. HForester

HForester Member

I agree, ADAguy. The main reason for "hot water" at a LAV is encourage time spent washing your hands. The tempered can into play for concern about the water being way too hot (think restaurant hot) for many people to react quick enough to avoid injury. The CDC wants us to wash hands for 10 seconds, in any water, with some soap, preferably. Most cannot force themselves to do 10 seconds with cold water.

10. ADAguy

ADAguy Sawhorse

Beware "E" coli, nasty stuff if you don't wash with soap too.