• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lack of egress for mosque in New Zealand?

sunnydisposition

The Wall Street Journal published the floor plan of the mosque in New Zealand where the massacre took place this week, and it showed large worship rooms with only one egress, leading to the main hallway down which the shooter walked killing people who could not escape. Unfortunately, the online version of the same story doesn't show the floor plan so I cannot link to it. But here are some quotes from the article which help explain the conditions:

"A heavily armed shooter blocked the main way out for all of them—a long corridor at the front. The floor-to-ceiling windows in the rear were crossed with iron bars for security."

“People were breaking the windows, trying to pull off the bars and trying to get out as bodies piled up all around them,” Mr. Asif said. “There were people lying on the ground, with their skulls shot open or shot between the eyes. People were in a panic, just trying to save their lives. People had no time to think about which way to run.”

"Emerging accounts of the deadliest massacre in New Zealand’s history, which left 50 people dead in two mosques, suggest the suspected gunman was able to dramatically increase the body count by trapping victims in areas with few exits, especially in the Al Noor prayer room."

Based on the diagram there is only one building exit, despite what the reporter says about there being few exits or that the shooter blocked the main way. Very roughly I have estimated based on the diagram that the building is about 3000-6000sf.

It occurs to me that the one egress is insufficient, and assuming that New Zealand using the IBC, then the mosque has not complied with it, which could be also a failure of the Christchurch building officials to ensure that a place of assembly has complied.

If I am correct, I bemoan the lack of a voice for responsible building code adherence who could call attention to this matter in the media and which may help prevent or reduce other such disasters. (Or maybe there is such a voice but the media doesn't hear it.)

Welcome, glad you joined us.

Interesting take, but this isn't/wasn't a building code issue. The building might not be a "safe" place per the IBC, but this was not a natural disaster/fire kind of situation.

Welcome, glad you joined us.

Interesting take, but this isn't/wasn't a building code issue. The building might not be a "safe" place per the IBC, but this was not a natural disaster/fire kind of situation.

Interesting take, yes. Would the current layout meet the requirements of the IBC? That is a question to ask. We think of fire safety and in this case the goal is to get out safely regardless of the situation.

6F640F42-35EA-4408-8824-99A259A8D738.jpeg C0FD8313-BFAB-41BC-8B5F-39FA97FA4B56.jpeg

Check out this exit situation I got stuck in.

First time there and made the mistake of not finding all the exits

And there is another half of the place, that was said to look the same

Luckily no one yelled free food

There was firing......Egress is egress in ALL life safety situations...

Yep

People start running for no reason, creating a panic.

In the pictures I posted, there were a few people trying hard to get out, They were claustrophobic