• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lack of Trained Construction Workers

"However, despite the importance of this industry, there needs to be more training in the construction trades, leading to overcoming negative stereotypes and a shortage of skilled workers."

Schools from elemetary to high school need to bring back shop classes. The emphasis on going to college should be tempered by the realization that not everyone is college material.

Watching Dick McGinnus running through the welding class with his mohair sweater on fire was valuable education that stuck with me.

Mr. Skoglund's missing index finger served as a warning.

Last edited:
Stop the cat calls and you'd stop a lot of negative stereotyping.
I remodeled stores that were open and full of women and not once have I ever witnessed that.....and would have trashed anyone that did that.

Last edited:
And I've been on college and high school job sites where workers have been dismissed on the spot. More females workers does seem to help the situation. One of my last projects had a nearly all female paint crew.