• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lets Talk

RJJ

Co-Founder
When we started this site UB asked for a vote on some form of Association. The site is growing and so should be some ideas on forming an association. At some point in time, this site will become to large a task for Jeff to manage. Also, we need to think about the cost of operation. We have Moderators and from my view we do a good job keeping ourselves in line.

I feel that we should visit this issue and kick around some of the factors that UB first raised. This is not a vote thread. Just a think tank! There is a core group from the old BB and some new ones as well. All are welcome to take part. Suggestion and people willing to help with the long range development of this site should step up now. If we can agree on a core group then we may work towards other issues. One thing on my mind is What is our Mission here? Are we just a bunch of posters or should we start to look at a real purpose? Just some start up thoughts.

Re: Lets Talk

RJJ, old buddy, I think from the lack of response here, that maybe most are of the same mind as I.

I think the purpose of the site is pretty straight-forward, the relatively free exchange of questions and opinions, for anybody that dares to post. I'm not of the mind that we need to make it anything more than that, JMHO.

As far as the maintenance of the site, I think that it has been made clear that if Jeff needs any financial assistance towards the site, or if the administative duties become to much, all he has to do is ask, and the regulars would step up. I think the Mods are doing a great job, and the site is doing well. Again, JMHO

Rjj,

I would have to agree with my esteemed colleague regarding the matter. While initially and I believe fueled by our sincere passion and dismay with the way the old format for “open” discussion was handled by their “association” we users felt the need to come up with a solution.

The creation of an association would be a daunting task however I did like the idea of it for opportunities for applicable training for membership that would meet the criteria for CEP’s for various certification maintenance. As mentioned previously, I would be willing to assist in any means necessary to further our initial objectives to provide an open media for open discussions of all code, design and protection topics for all to have free access to.

One of the reasons for this post is just a spin off of that thread. Also, to have a little more talk on the subject. Seems all are happy for the way things exist. However, at some point the operation of the site will need to come out from under Jeffs business. So we need to think ahead. There can be issues for Jeff business wise with this site. Jeff and I talk quite often and have had discussions regarding this and other issues. Some I will not post because they are issues that don't concern others or the site as it exist today. The core of this site needs to think long range. JMHO

Let me say, that this is a great site! Totally open! It is growing and I believe it serves a purpose to the core group and others.

I just believe it needs more discussion. From the lack of interest in the thread maybe it should just die!

RJJ, I don't think it is lack of interest, rather a comfort level that we have in the forum as it stands right now.

But that being said, if changes need to be made, for Jeff, his business, whatever, what I said before still stands, I know there is a core group here that will step up and do whatever needs to be done to keep this forum alive and growing. If it takes assembling an association, a board of directors, whatever, we'll do it when the time comes. Right now I think the prevailing mood is........if it aint broke......don't fix it.

Again..JMHO :cool: