• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Level 3 Alteration, or Level 2?

TimNY

Platinum Member
Existing R-1 proposes to install new doors and windows throughout, re-roof, replace all through-wall AC/heat units, replace all plumbing fixtures.

Level 3 alteration applies when work area exceeds 50% of building area. Lay persons terms would say the work area is 100%.

However, work area as defined as "reconfigured spaces", I do not believe any of the proposed work is actually a "reconfiguration", so I am inclined to treat this as Level 2.

Would appreciate any input you all may have.

Thanks,

Tim

Are they Removing and Replacing the a doors and windows or are they cutting holes and installing new doors and windows in new locations. It may be a Level 1 if all items are remove and replace. Look at 105.2 Exemption 7 for mechanical equipment and see if it applies

403.1 Scope.

Level 1 alterations include the removal and replacement or the covering of existing materials, elements, equipment, or fixtures using new materials, elements, equipment, or fixtures that serve the same purpose.

Easiest way I solve the battle in my head over L2-3 or new versus existing is trying to remember "structural change" and not cosmetic replacements and then evaluate those changes against total fire areas. It typically becomes clear to me when looking at it like this....and oh yes, what MT said.

Easiest way I solve the battle in my head over L2-3 or new versus existing is trying to remember "structural change" and not cosmetic replacements and then evaluate those changes against total fire areas. It typically becomes clear to me when looking at it like this....and oh yes, what MT said.
I thank the originator of this thread as I struggle with this matter as a plan reviewer. Your response shed some clarity with the issue I have with alt-2 vs alt-3. Notably the term "reconfigure" and what counts toward the 50%. For example, if I had a 2-bedroom, 1-story house where the bedrooms share a wall and I took the wall out to make it a big bedroom essentially reconfiguring the space from 2 bedroom to 1 bedroom, would the area of the existing 2 bedrooms be part of the 50%? In addition, if I also took the large living room and added a wall to make a smaller living room and an study, would this also be considered reconfigured space and would the existing area of the previous living room area contribute to the 50% threshold?