• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

load bearing walls and girder

Robert Lee

Hello all I am in the process of building a house. All the exterior walls are ICF. I am an electrician and have pretty good mechanical sense and am good with my hands so i took it upon myself as a kind of DIY project for the floors, I have a few worries hoping someone on this forum could help clears up...

The floor layout utilizes joist hangers going straight across with load bearing walls splitting the staircase and a drop girder made of three 2x12 and one 1x12 splitting the middle.

My first question is i had to belt sand the drop girder where the joist were running across down about a quarter inch is this going to cause a code violation?

My next question is there is a 6X6 post coming up and splits an I joist, I built out a little wall consisting of two 2x6's with a double top plate to catch the joist in front of the 6x6. Will that pass code?

I will post some pictures hopefully to help illustrate my questions

Thanks guys

one more question the 6x6 post is sitting in a wall and i attached it simply with a half post base on top of the bottom pt plate I'm not sure if this is ok either... thanks

I am not an engineer

Did someone design it for you

Or did you borrow the design from somewhere??

I showed someone at the lumber supply my blueprints and they put together a package for the joist and girder

Who drew the blueprints??

Engineer or find them from another job or??