• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Looking to have a shop building built.

Eddie_23

Right now I pay about $700/month for 3 12x35 storage units and I'm thinking about how that's a good amount of money to spend every month. I was looking at steel pre fabricated buildings, around 60x80 to store a boat, two trailers and some wood working tools that I do as a hobby.

My questions are:

Can a steel shop building be built on residential land?

Will the noise of carpentry tools be an issue?

What does it cost to have a pad made for the shop?

I'm in the very beginning stages of this and am not familiar with what codes etc there might be.

Whether it could be built residential Internet depends on the zoning/HOA rules in your area, they vary widely depending on what part of the country you are in. Same goes for the noise from the carpentry tools.

The price of the slab will vary somewhat regionally but you're looking at somewhere around $15,000- $20,000.

Right now I pay about $700/month for 3 12x35 storage units and I'm thinking about how that's a good amount of money to spend every month. I was looking at steel pre fabricated buildings, around 60x80 to store a boat, two trailers and some wood working tools that I do as a hobby.

My questions are:

Can a steel shop building be built on residential land?

Will the noise of carpentry tools be an issue?

What does it cost to have a pad made for the shop?

How big is your lot???

Are you in an incorporated city
Or
In a Texas county area ??

Harris and Galveston county are the two counties I'm looking at in tx. I haven't bought a lot yet because I'm not sure how much bigger the lot needs to be compared to the building size.

That would be a question to either the city you are looking at or the county government.

Texas cities have their own zoning and building codes.

Some of the actual county areas, outside city limits. County building requirements are sometimes less stringent.

60x80 will need a good size lot. Sometimes you run into setbacks from roads, property lines, easements

Sounds like the way to go is find a property with a building already on it.

Then just add to it if needed? There aren't many properties with steel buildings on them around me.

Not sure if there is much county area land to choose from, down there.
But sounds like that is where you need to be.

You might have a little trouble building that big on a residential lot, in an incorporated city.

How big of a lot do I typically need for a 4800 sq ft building? I've found several lots that have no deed restrictions, but the fact that they are next to houses kind of worries me. Maybe it would be better to find a commercially zoned lot? Then I don't have to worry about noise. etc. There are a few lots here in there in the .37-.50 acre size range. Anywhere from $15,000-$45,000

How big of a lot do I typically need for a 4800 sq ft building? I've found several lots that have no deed restrictions, but the fact that they are next to houses kind of worries me. Maybe it would be better to find a commercially zoned lot? Then I don't have to worry about noise. etc. There are a few lots here in there in the .37-.50 acre size range. Anywhere from $15,000-$45,000

Just to clarify,,,

1. do you want the shop only?!

2. Or a shop and a house to live in??

Call mueller in your area, they should have some answers to your questions also

Shop only on the lot.

Yea don’t think a city would let you set it on a residential lot, unless zoned also for that type of use.

If you build it on commercial, you are going to run into a lot of requirements.

Maybe if you do not want to buy an already built building,,, rent or lease one, till you get a better idea,

I think a lot of existing buildings are owned by businesses and my guess is they would want to sell the whole business.

A lot of places don't allow an accessory structure unless there is a primary structure already there. As stated, these are questions for the specific municipality you are looking into.

I think a lot of existing buildings are owned by businesses and my guess is they would want to sell the whole business.

Contact a commercial real estate agent, and they will have a list of vacant buildings, or soon to be vacant for sale. OR Lease

Apparantly they haven't. They just make the buildings, they don't even put them together or do any of the foundation work.

I got a quote of $160,000 to have a 60x80 building installed and that includes building cost, labor and the slab.