• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Looking to start career in building inspection, which ICC cert should I get first?

T.O.

I am looking to start a career in building inspection and am wondering which ICC certification would be best to try for first to make me more employable. I have a bachelor's degree in Landscape Design and decided it isn't for me. I have completed course work in Construction Engineering and Architecture and I have a couple years of field work in general construction and excavation. I know by obtaining an ICC cert, it would help my chances of getting an interview/job? I have been studying the Commercial Building Code, figuring that may be a good one to get first?

Thanks for any advice/input.

+ + +

T.O.,

Welcome to The Building Codes Forum! :cool:

Which market segment are you looking to get in to,

...Commercial or Residential or Industrial?

If Commercial, ...then the Commercial Building Inspector is the

1st one of choice.........If Residential, ...then the Residential Building

Inspector would be an excellent 1st choice......If Industrial, ...then

the Commercial Building Inspector would be a good 1st choice as

well......Mind you, ...starting with one is only the first step in a long

journey.......Get as many certifications and as much training as you

can stand......Lot's of opportunities out there!

Also, ...welcome to the Building Codes career field......This is

The Dark Side!.....Muuuuuuuwwwwwhhhhhaaaa haaaaaaa! :devil

FWIW, ...I hope that you have a thick skin and are not easily

rattled!

% % %

Look into the legal requirements (if there are any) in the State you might be working......CT has their own cert program equivalent to the Certified Building Official Cert...Good Luck!

Welcome

Suggest experience try to find a department that will let you do tide along. To include plan review

Also , suggest any code classes over certifications, check the state/local ICC chapter for training , fire marshals assoc, etc

Commercial

My advice is to take the plan examiners test within a month of passing an inspectors exam. The exams are not much different, You are already familar with the book and material and your mind has been in a study/learning mode while preparing for the inspectors exam.

Thanks, I will definitely do that. Nice title, My wife and I just moved from MT to Arizona last year. I miss the big sky country a lot!

I think the Residential Building Inspector is a lot easier but if you have already started the Commercial stick with it. Make sure you are studying the correct book though. I believe they are now testing under the 2012 IBC and IRC but it may be the 2015. Download the ICC exam bulletin for way more info. Good luck and welcome to the other side!!

In order, if I were hiring, Commercial, Residential, Plans Examiner, and it doesn't hurt to have the Fire Inspector certs, gives you credibility with your Fire Marshall's office. JMHO

Welcome to the forum, keep us posted on your progress.........

good luck.. . look at what the jurisdictions are looking for (inspector or plan review; residential or commercial). NOTE: while I'm always looking for multi-certified inspectors, I'm always cautious with good test takers; they are usually are better starting off as plan reviewers before transitioning into the field. Being able to translate the 2D plans to the 3D construction isn't always easy for everyone.

I appreciate all the input from everyone. I'm looking at taking the constructionexam centers week long seminar as I've heard it is very helpful but the $890 fee for the course and taking a week off of work hurts the wallet a little. Does anyone have a recommendation on whether it is worth the money or just use the study guides and keep studying? Thanks.

= & & =

T.O.,

IMO, ...unless the exam center has something that is extremely

beneficial to offer, I would not spend my monies in that direction,

rather I would recommend that you study the code books that

you plan to take a test on and spend the money that way.

You appear to be code savvy and knowledgeable about the

various codes environment, so I would think that you can master

the exams as well.......The key point is, ...if "YOU" believe that

you need to attend a week long training event & can afford it,

...then go for it!......It would not be my choice!.......Hope this helps!

$ + + $

Depends on your test taking skills. I had one guy that failed the IBC exam twice. He went to the exam center and passed. Personally I would not spend the money especially if you are going to loose a week of work. The ICC has some online practice exams you can sign up for and if you can score 90% or better on those then you are ready to take the real one

T.O. said:
Thanks everyone for the info. Will keep you posted on my progress.
I studied for the commerical building test, but screwed up and had signed up (evidently) for the commercial plans exam. Well, since the money was already spent, I sat for it ... and I passed. Two weeks later I sat for the commercial building inspector test - passed that one too. Just to show you how close the two are.