• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Lower Ceiling, Lower Sprinkler Head

jar546

Forum Coordinator
This is a condominium, and there are other problems, other than the sprinkler head. They are using wood furring strips across the metal framing in a Type II construction for this condo. The wood will be removed as it is not allowed in a Type II.
C6333E6B-8AD1-437B-8AB4-B32D5A34C568.jpeg

Last edited:
It is a sidewall

1. Depending on where finished ceiling is it may be legal as is.

2. Also depends on brand/ model of sidewall. Some are allowed more than 4-6 inches down.

It is a sidewall

1. Depending on where finished ceiling is it may be legal as is.

2. Also depends on brand/ model of sidewall. Some are allowed more than 4-6 inches down.
Issue is the other way....once sheetrock is hung, will be within an inch or so of the new lid.

All depends on the listing of the head.....NFPA 13 has a flat out no closer to a wall than 4" for a pendant head I believe, but I haven't done that many sidewall to know if there is a head that can go that close...

, but I haven't done that many sidewall to know if there is a head that can go that close...
Think about that for a minute. For a sidewall head ... would it make sense for it to be 4” from the wall? In that case wouldn’t the adjacent surface ... the ceiling ... require the standoff distance?

Normally it is four inches down from the ceiling, for a sidewall

There are models that can be further down.

And normally the fitting is against the wall