• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Luminous Egress Markings in R2 Building

micdrop

Yes I know luminous markings are not required in R2 buildings. HOWEVER, most multi-family buildings have some amenity spaces (A occupancy) with in the building.

In this particular case, I have a high rise multifamily building with A3 amenity spaces above 75'. The areas are small enough to be considered accessory occupancies. An inspector has broached the topic of requiring the luminous markings because there are A occupancies, even though the primary occupancy is R2. The code does not seem to be very clear on this particular circumstance. The building is secured from the general public -all amenity spaces (A3) are access controlled. While an occasional guest may be in the building, the bulk of the use will be for residents. Most jurisdictions I have found will not require the luminous markings for R2 amenity spaces. But I am looking for help in responding to this particular inspector. Even if no amenity spaces were provided, a resident could still have many guests with in the unit, and no luminous markings would be required. I understand the intent of the code and why these markings would be required in public buildings where the vast majority of people have little familiarity with the building. However, if the code specifically excludes R2, then would that also include any accessory occupancies?

That could only apply to one space. The others are 67 and 63 respectively.

508.2.1 Occupancy classification. Accessory occupancies
shall be individually classified in accordance with
Section 302.1. The requirements of this code shall apply to
each portion of the building based on the occupancy classification
of that space.

If you have an exit in the A, I would say it applies, if not...not....

1025.2 Markings within exit components. Egress path
markings shall be provided in interior exit stairways, interior
exit ramps and exit passageways, in accordance with Sections
1025.2.1 through 1025.2.6.