• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Main Sewer Line at street

genegehl

Has anyone heard of this, have a sewer backup in basement floor (Davenport Ia) I know or thought the homeowner was responsible for either line going to street or in some cases all the way to the main sewer line. I have learned today that the city does not own the main sewer line down my street (runs east-west) untill it connects to the main street (runs north-south)

I was informed that in the older neighborhoods the homeowners collectivly own the sewer line running down the street that each house is connected to untill it reaches the city sewer line. So with that said each house is responsible for the street sewer line that runs adjacent to there property.

I have never heard of this until now, but sounds plausible.

Thanks !

I quess but the area is older, my house was built 1890 all the other houses are 60-80 yrs old just never heard of a private main sewer line that runs down a city street but learn something new, I bet the other homeowners have no clue as to all of us being responsible for the sewer line down our street until it hits the north south main street

It is definitely not a typical configuration.

Be sure to install a backwater valve, will prevent further issues.