• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mall Tenant Fresh Air Intake

Glytchii

So I just took over a space in a mall and they use a swamp cooler to cool the tenant spaces. I run a game lounge and generate a lot of heat in my space and have not been able to get cold water to my blower unit for the last few days. I just found out my "outside air intake" is actually just a vent that pulls air from the next tenant space over. It doesn't pull air from outside at all. Is this legal/up to code? I was hoping to just pull cold air from outside to help cool my space but I can't even get that. I feel like the mall should supply me with fresh air to my space but they aren't.

I'll get my popcorn.

Just kidding, welcome! We see a lot of different questions pop up here and often we are not in a position to answer, at least not without more information. "I just took over a space..." Does that mean you signed a new lease or are you taking over an existing lease? What was the space used for before and are you going to be getting a building permit for a tenant improvement? I'm sure there will be more questions but at least maybe this will get the ball rolling. Please keep in mind that the intent of this forum is to have discussions that help us all learn and grow. The more information you provide the more likely you will get pertinent answers. Some answer may seem short or gruff, but it's not personal, it's just the nature of discussion.

Thank you for your reply!

I'm sorry I am new and am not sure what to do about this. I signed a license agreement and took over the space July 1st. The space had been vacant for about 6 months before that and I haven't changed anything (other than painting and bringing in my own equipment for the games such as PCs and desks) about the space or it's equipment (HVAC, lighting, plumbing, wiring, etc). I am not supplied with fresh air into the space but it looks like at one time it was. Now the fresh air ductwork just pulls air from the next tenant space over. Not actually pulling anything from outside.

When the mall was built and the codes that where in place when it was built will also aid in providing answers to your question.

Does any wall in your unit face outside? If not what about the roof? I would recommend some kind of new improvements to first get access to fresh air and second block off the vent to the neighbor. Keep in mind that you'll probably want to hire a licensed contractor and make sure they pull a permit. A good contractor will be able to advise you on what's possible and what it will cost, and by making sure they pull a permit it will get your local building department involved to make sure codes are met and everybody is protected. Generally speaking commercial property owners will let you do "whatever you want" as long as licensed people do the work and permits are pulled.

Ventilation and cooling are two different concepts.

New construction generally requires ventilation air be provided. Existing building code also requires ventilation air be provided, although the requirements for ventilation air can be less than for a new building. In new buildings this will generally depend on the square footage and the # of occupants. In existing buildings, it may be provided based on occupants only.
Ventilation can also be satisfied by natural means (i.e. opening of doors, windows) instead of mechanical means.

The code does not require that cooling be provided.

If your space is generating excessive heat, providing ventilation air will be beneficial when the temperature outside is less than temperature inside. During the summer, ventilation air will not help cool the space.

The root of your problem, may be that the swamp cooler does not have adequate cooling capacity. I would explore the possibility of adding a mini split system, as that is a great system for retrofits/existing construction if the space is not too big.

The terms of the lease will raise their ugly head. Sometimes it will say the LL will provide chilled water betweenbthe hours of 8nam and 9 pm … and be silent beyond that. Sometimes the lease will say the tenant is responsible for all hvac.

Ventilation and cooling are two different concepts.

New construction generally requires ventilation air be provided. Existing building code also requires ventilation air be provided, although the requirements for ventilation air can be less than for a new building. In new buildings this will generally depend on the square footage and the # of occupants. In existing buildings, it may be provided based on occupants only.
Ventilation can also be satisfied by natural means (i.e. opening of doors, windows) instead of mechanical means.

The code does not require that cooling be provided.

If your space is generating excessive heat, providing ventilation air will be beneficial when the temperature outside is less than temperature inside. During the summer, ventilation air will not help cool the space.

The root of your problem, may be that the swamp cooler does not have adequate cooling capacity. I would explore the possibility of adding a mini split system, as that is a great system for retrofits/existing construction if the space is not too big.
I don't think I would put a swamp cooler in, that completely defeats the purpose of A/C. Maybe in Arizona that might work A swamp cooler is poring in humid air ( water) A/C is a dehumidifier removing water ! Really I don't think it's a good idea, even in Arizona