• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maneuvering Clearances and Door approaches (Cali)

tbz

Silver Member
Didn't know if I should post this here or in accessibility section. but here is my question(s). Project is located in California so chapter 11 section 1126A in other states it is covered in the 2010 ADA under section 404.2.4.1, but I posted here because of being in Cali's chapter 11.
  • MOE exit stairwells if the door from the floor level is locked out and only allows for people to exit into the stairwell, does not allow reentry to a floor once the door closes, does the code require that door to meet the maneuvering clearance requirement to get back on to the floor which can't be done without someone opening the door.
  • Hence if you can't travel back inside by design of normal access, is that door required to still meet the maneuvering clearance requirement, from inside the stair well back in to the floor level?

Interesting question and on the quick I would say yes as it doesn't sound like an exempt area (employee work, etc...) If there is no hardware, then no as you are not discriminating.....Like to see how this flushes out...

1132A.5 for maneuvering clearances at primary entry doors and All required exit doors to covered multifamily dwellings.

See IBC Section 1010.1.9.11 (I think it’s the same in the CBC) regarding the locking of stairway doors.

See IBC Section 1010.1.9.11 (I think it’s the same in the CBC) regarding the locking of stairway doors.
I should point out my reference is to the 2015 IBC, which is the basis for the currently-adopted CBC. For the 2018 IBC (and the basis of the CBC that goes into effect next month), the same requirements are located in Section 1010.1.9.12.

2015 IBC Section 1010.1.9.11 (Section 1010.1.9.12 in the 2018 IBC) states that doors for means of egress stairways are required to be openable from both sides. There are exceptions:
  • Exception 1: Does not apply in this case since the exception only applies to the exit discharge door from the stairway.
  • Exception 2: Applies to high rise buildings and allows the doors to be locked from the stairway side, but they must be capable of being unlocked simultaneously from the fire command center; thus, they must still be openable from the stairway side when released.
  • Exception 3: Applies to buildings four stories or less, and has conditions similar to Exception 2.
  • Exception 4: Applies to tenant spaces accessed by a single exit stairway when permitted by Section 1006.3.2. The OP doesn't indicate that this is the situation.
  • Exception 5: Applies to dwelling units with conditions similar to Exception 4. The OP doesn't indicate that this is the situation.
Hence, excluding Exceptions 1, 4, and 5--which are not applicable in the situation described--all doors into a means of egress stairway must be openable from the stairway side and, therefore, must meet the clearance requirements for accessibility.

if it is a required exit you can not remove the hardware.
if it is a required exit the door cannot be locked.
Removing the hardware from the non exit side of the exit door does nothing other than eliminate the door from being used to enter. egress is maintained. no door clearances needed for accessibility on the non exit side because there is no entry possibility

Removing the hardware from the non exit side of the exit door does nothing other than eliminate the door from being used to enter. egress is maintained. no door clearances needed for accessibility on the non exit side because there is no entry possibility
Entry from the stairway side must be provided...see my earlier post #8.

Removing the hardware from the non exit side of the exit door does nothing other than eliminate the door from being used to enter. ...
And that is why so many perished in the twin towers....They could not get out of the stairwell.