• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Masonry Piers Construction In Residential Construction

globe trekker

I have an addition being proposed to an exisiting residence.

The addition will be approx. 400 sq. ft., conventional foundation, to have a flooring system supported

on masonry piers. The CMU's for the individual piers will be be 8" x 8"x 16" [ 3 high & grouted ] with one -

5/8" re-bar in each cell of the CMU's and then poured concrete into each cell also.

The design area has a 2" frostline, Seismic Design Category " B ", soil bearing capacity = approx. 2 - 2.5 k.

This addition is going onto a residence in a lower economic area [ essentially a shack ]. None-the-less, I

am seeking information on the construction of the masonry piers. Section R606.6 in the `06 IRC

doesn't provide me with what I am looking for.

QUESTION: In this particular design category, must the piers be anchored below grade or can the

CMU's be anchored to an 'above grade' poured foundation [ approx. 4" thick x 16" wide x 16" long ],

with the steel re-bars set in this area and then tied into the individual CMU's?

FWIW, the exisiting structure is not anchored 'below grade', but it IS substantially old, ...before

any codes were used in this area. Also, I cannot request a DP or any kind of engineered plans on this

project because of, ...well, I just cannot! I DO have certain limitations in place.

As always, if you could please direct me to the applicable sections in the IRC or IBC. I HAVE read

Section R403.1. and viewed Figure R403.1(1), but am still unclear.

Thanks for your input! ;)

R E Q U E S T: If you plan to provide some negative comments or input, please save it for

another thread. I am trying to manage this project as best as I can and I simply do not need the

negative input. PLEASE, only positive/constructive input and assistance and code references.

Again, thanks for your help! :)

Re: Masonry Piers Construction In Residential Construction

How's this work for you?

2006 IRC

R407.3 Structural requirements. The columns shall be restrained to prevent lateral displacement at the bottom end. Wood columns shall not be less in nominal size than 4 inches by 4 inches (102 mm by 102 mm) and steel columns shall not be less than 3-inch-diameter (76 mm) standard pipe or approved equivalent.

Exception: In Seismic Design Categories A, B and C columns no more than 48 inches (1219 mm) in height on a pier or footing are exempt from the bottom end lateral displacement requirement within underfloor areas enclosed by a continuous foundation.

Re: Masonry Piers Construction In Residential Construction

R403.1.1 requires the footings to be at least 6" thick, and limits projections to the thickness of the footing.

R403.1.4 requires footings to be at least 12" below undisturbed ground surface