• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Master plans

Sifu

SAWHORSE
For those of you who deal with master plans. I am looking for help in how to better manage them. Do you place limitations on them in any way. For example:

Do limit the number of times they can be built? or
Limit the number of options? or
Are they limited to certain geographic areas, such as subdivisions? or
Are they limited by the base-line construction, such a the foundation footprint (different footprint=different master)?

Right and left option and different roof options are allowed if the roof option is on the original master plan. Foundation based on minimum 1500 # soil bearing capacity so it will work everywhere in our jurisdiction.
No changes allowed to the floor plan, window or door locations
It has to be exactly the same configuration to qualify as a master plan. When a new code cycle is adopted then new master plans have to be submitted.
We do electronic plan reviews so it only takes a couple of minutes to overlay them and the software picks up any changes.

Right, Left, 3 elevations, Hip and gable roofs, corner lot porch option. No other changes

We went to electronic plan review back in 2010. One surprise that we did not expect was we could eliminate master plans. Once the plans were electronically stamped by our plans examiner the builder simply submit that plan and it's a done deal. That is except for the footing and foundation design along with the geotech report that is lot specific. We have bad soils here. Lots of lean fat clay, bentonite, coal seams, etc... Hope this helps.

Lots of lean fat clay, .
Never herd of "LEAN FAT CLAY"?

Definition of lean clay. A clay of low to medium plasticity owing to a relatively high content of silt or sand.
Definition of fat clay. A cohesive and compressible clay of high plasticity, containing a high proportion of minerals that make it greasy to the feel. It is difficult to work when damp, but strong when dry.

Sorry Mark. I'm not an expert in that particular field and this is more a local term that is used here. Kinda of like "We have Type-S (Ship High In Transit) soils.

Sorry Mark. I'm not an expert in that particular field and this is more a local term that is used here. Kinda of like "We have Type-S (Ship High In Transit) soils.
No need to apologize
Unlike what some think, This is a place of learning. I learn something every time I come here.
It Could be a lean layer of fat clay?
But thanks for the clarification.

Note that these "standard" plans may/must be revised every 3 years to address code changes (smiling).
They are not like USPS forever stamps.

I also sometimes require a design professionals stamp when I feel they do not meet minimum lateral requirements. I am in a high seismic area.

Note that these "standard" plans may/must be revised every 3 years to address code changes (smiling).
They are not like USPS forever stamps.

Exactly and I forgot to mention that as we update / adopt the codes approximately every three years new plans are required to be submitted and approve.