• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Max stem wall height without engineering

atvjoel

I saw another post but there was more arguments then actual info. I am looking at Table R404.1.1(1) and if I am reading this correct you can go 6' stem wall with "unbalanced backfill" if you have SP SW GP or GW soils and you have 8" stem wall.

Luckily I answered my own question as the definition of "unbalanced backfill" is underneath the table and answers my question.

I am doing crawl space but I was really confused because I was tossing around the idea of doing a slab, and its confusing why you really need to be below the frost line if you have do a heated slab. I get it, frost heaving but what if you dont have a water susceptible soil.

Looks like you can "balance" your fill around your stem wall and go as high as you want without design from an engineer.