• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Maximum amount of general purpose receptacles on a circuit

jar546

Forum Coordinator
Just trying to get a often 'hot' topic started to get some good debate going. Remember we are in the Residential section.

How many general purpose duplex receptacles are allowed on a circuit? We are not talking appliance receptacles.

My answer is that there is no limit in residential applications.

Re: Maximum amount of general purpose receptacles on a circuit

That is the way I read the NEC.

There are limits on equipment circuits, and requirements for specific circuits but not for general use circuits.

I agree that there is no limit on the number of general purpose receptacles on a circuit. However, NEC 210.11(A)&(B) limits the area a branch circuit can serve to 480 SF for 15 A circuits, and 640 SF for 20 A circuits (based on the 3 VA per SF unit load used for feeder calculations).

You are correct, Jeff.

Next question.

Jeff - Try 'Attic stairs'. That was a pretty 'hot' topic a few months ago... :lol:

Better than that, try basement stairs with grade level exit halfway up.