• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mechanical units and fire separation distance

Matt Jones

Have a project where there’s a fire wall separating the existing buildings with an imaginary lot line for fire separation distance. The structures affected by the renovations are meeting all the requirements, ratings, etc. required, but the mechanical engineer needs to place a ground-mounted unit that would effectively straddle or closely border the imaginary fire separation line. Can’t seem to find anything on this…obviously doesn’t seem to make sense with the intent of code, but our alternatives are few to none. Any thoughts on this situation would be helpful. (SC, 2018 IBC, I-2)

The definition only speaks to Buildings.

[BF] FIRE SEPARATION DISTANCE. The distance measured
from the building face to one of the following:
1. The closest interior lot line.
2. To the centerline of a street, an alley or public way.
3. To an imaginary line between two buildings on the lot.
The distance shall be measured at right angles from the
face of the wall.

I think it's OK, we'll see what others say.

I don't think I would have an issue with it....the equipment is not a "threat" to either building as it is not a threat to the building they are typically mounted on or adjacent to...