• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Medical Spa- Treatment room

ELLEN09US

Hi everyone,

I design and got permit for a medical spa in LA, CA. They inject botox and so on.
I already got the permit but never got any correction regarding clearance around the treatment table.
These are small rooms. Do I have to provide 36" around the table or just one side is OK.
I worked on another medical office but never got correction to provide 3' around the table. just want to make sure.

Thanks for your input.

The tenant space is more than 1000 SF.
The smallest room is 12'x9' with 2' cabinets.
12'x9'=108 sq ft. Sounds like less than 1000 sq ft to me.

2015 IBC
1104.3.1 Employee work areas. Common use circulation
paths within employee work areas shall be accessible
routes.
Exceptions:
1. Common use circulation paths, located within
employee work areas that are less than 1,000
square feet (93 m2) in size and defined by permanently
installed partitions, counters, casework or
furnishings, shall not be required to be accessible
routes.

I'm not sure about California, but you should be OK if 5% or not less than 1 room has a 36" space on one side to get a wheelchair next to the table so the patient can transfer onto the table.

12'x9'=108 sq ft. Sounds like less than 1000 sq ft to me.
I’m thinking he is misinterpreting the definition of tenant space and employee work area. I think the entire office suite is more than 1,000 sf and the exam rooms are on the order of 100 sf. I think.

I talked to the plan checker. He said 5% of treatment room should be accessible with 5' radius and 3' x full length of treatment table.

Thanks all for your input!

Well, in general, medical facilities and treatment areas are subject to strict regulations for safety and hygiene. It's always best to consult with your local building department or code enforcement agency.