• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Member count for this site at 1,975

jpranch

Platinum Member
As of today this site has 1,975 registered members. I propose a count down to the mile marker 2,000? I'm amazed at the growth and how fast the time has passed. Does anybody have the exact date when this site went live? Just wondering.

There was about a 48 hour notice from ICC that they where going to pull the plug which they did on 10-16-2009.

Jeff sent an invite to join this board the evening of the 16th to join

Here is the message sent by jar546:

Subject:

http://www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_pm&d=J&t=00004614new forum

http://www.iccsafe.org/cgi-bin/ultimatebb.cgi?ubb=get_pm&d=J&t=00004614

--------------------------------------------------

Just in case there is a problem with the new ICC webpage I have started another messageboard on my website. I gain nothing and it costs me money but I don't want to lose the capability of communicating with others. It can be public, I can have private areas or we can make the whole thing private. It will be up to the members. Register at

http://inspectpa.com/phpbb/New forum

http://inspectpa.com/phpbb/' rel="external nofollow">

Just check it out. We can add, change or delete the forums. Tell us what you want.

--------------------------------------------------

I was a member here on 10-17-2009.

I am amazed at how slow the growth has been. I visit another forum that is two years older than this one and there are 23,000 members.

ICE said:
I am amazed at how slow the growth has been. I visit another forum that is two years older than this one and there are 23,000 members.
If I were to eliminate the joining process of verifying email addresses and other spam filters, we would have that many too. Bigger is not better; less can be more.

jar546 said:
If I were to eliminate the joining process of verifying email addresses and other spam filters, we would have that many too. Bigger is not better; less can be more.
I'm pretty sure I had to go through the same procedure at that forum as you have here. There must be other reasons that a 1000 people visit and three register in a day. I sent fatboy a PM a while back that outlined a few things that I thought might be holding this forum back. But hey, this is your house and I am just a visitor so all is good with me.

Tiger

Last edited by a moderator:
ICE said:
I'm pretty sure I had to go through the same procedure at that forum as you have here. There must be other reasons that a 1000 people visit and three register in a day. I sent fatboy a PM a while back that outlined a few that I thought might be holding this forum back. But hey, this is your house and I am just a visitor so all is good with me.Tiger
Good, glad to hear it.

A few comments from behind the stage:

1. I agree that bigger is not better.

2. I don't agree that anyone here is causing the site not to grow.

3. This site is everybody's that cares and has interest in code topics. It is not Jeff's house alone.

4. Jeff has taken on the mantle of providing the site and He alone has some exposure in his business relationships, off this site that at the end of the day, he alone will have to make a call on things that could effect him personally that take place here. That being said, the both of us have consider all suggestion from the members equally. Everyone has a voice and not everyone can have what they want, when they want it. Some have left the site because they could not agree with decision made. Please keep that in mind.

5. The numbers of 1900+/- people mean little. Many that have joined & never posted and some never return. By watching who is on line and from what IP address you can see who is & who is not a real contributor. some come on just with a single question and never return, yet they remain on the roll as a member.

6. These are just numbers and what we need is some feed back on how to bring in more people that share the same passion as the nucleus on this site.

7. The nucleus that is here becomes in some respects an extended family. We all interact and establish relationships form who is doing what on a weekend to a professional position on a code issue. In that sense a trust is established between us the core with respect for those opinions. We need to fine avenues to expand this family that is the key to real growth. This atmosphere does not exist elsewhere.

This is the PM I sent to the fat one. Please note that there is no mention of anybody causing the site not to grow.:

Hi Fatboy,

I sent this to you because you are the most active of the administrators. I visit several forums and find this forum to be the best. So why haven’t more people joined? A similar forum that started in 2007 has 23,500 members and this forum should have a lot more than 1925 members.

Mere suggestions.

I took a look at the site as a guest and there is one banner ad and three links at the bottom. I would expect a lot more than one/three. If there is any money to be had from banner ads, there should be a dozen. That would create a busy page with color. Stimulating the senses adds to the experience.

Seeing plenty of adds gives the impression that advertisers find this forum to be worthwhile. Subconsciously, that validates a person’s decision to spend their time at this forum. People gravitate towards success.

This is how it is now:

“Please Register (free) to view hidden, private parts of this forum. If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above. You will have to register before you can post or view all of the threads: click the register link above to proceed. To start viewing messages, select the forum that you want to visit from the selection below.”

“Please Register (free) to view hidden, private parts of this forum.”

That’s not true. It takes a donation to see the private area.

“If this is your first visit, be sure to check out the FAQ by clicking the link above.”

The objective is to get the guest to register, but the second suggestion is to visit FAQ. Keep the focus on registration. If they’ve got eyeballs, they can see the FAQ button.

“You will have to register before you can post or view all of the threads:”

There’s no need to tell them and it is incorrect in that they can view all of the threads, just not all of the pictures. They will discover that on their own.

Here is a different version that gets the point across with fewer words. The objective is to get the guest to join. The statement should focus on that and nothing else.

Please register to participate in this forum. Registration is free. ^Place link here^ After registration, you will be able to enjoy the forum without advertising. Or start viewing threads by selecting a forum below.

“Welcome! You can view private areas, keep this forum FREE for everyone and free from advertising by a small DONATION. You can donate by clicking on the Donate button above top left or click here for a postal address.”

This statement shouldn’t be on the guest page at all. It is right under the statement that asks them to register for free. Right away they get the idea that free has strings attached. The statement above it states that they can view private areas after a free registration and right below that they are told that a donation is required to view private areas. That is confusing and leads to the conclusion that it is free to register but they still can’t see what’s going on unless they donate.

The next time they run into it is after they have registered. There it is at the top. That’s not a welcome without strings. Besides that, it is incorrect.

It’s “FREE for everyone” unless you donate.

Then there’s, “or click here for a postal address.” Save that for the donate page.

The word donate appears three times in two sentences. Once should suffice.

Here is a warm welcome.

Welcome, as a member you can enjoy all of the forum’s features. Have fun and visit often.

That’s all. A welcome should be a welcome, not an entreaty to donate.

A separate blurb asking for donations can follow as long as it is distinctly separated from the welcome.

Members have an opportunity to support this forum. This forum depends on donations to be free of advertising. A forum supporter gains entry to a separate section of the forum that is hidden from public and general member view. ^link^

Truthfully, I was disappointed with the forum supporter’s private section. It is boring and if that is the only reason one donates, then it’s a let down.

There could be a benefit to having a button that would restore the advertising on a member’s page. Some people like the ads. Advertisers would notice a benefit.

I also noticed that a guest can see almost all of the pictures. The only incentive to register is the ability to post and see profiles. Most won’t post so why should they bother to register? Perhaps there is a way to allow a guest to view a set number of pictures so they get a feel for it and then cut them off.

Well that’s how I see it.

Tiger

ICE said:
Members have an opportunity to support this forum. This forum depends on donations to be free of advertising. A forum supporter gains entry to a separate section of the forum that is hidden from public and general member view. ^link^Truthfully, I was disappointed with the forum supporter’s private section. It is boring and if that is the only reason one donates, then it’s a let down.
That's not why I donated. Sure, some of the posts put a grin on my face, but the real reason I donated is because I know what it's like to have a vision for something and have to fund it yourself. Jeff is providing an opportunity for nearly 2,000 people that only a small percentage of post on a regular basis. Why? I don't know. Maybe it's because they don't know who we are. I don't know who most of you are. I don't really care, my point is that I look here for guidance and advice because most of us in this industry have a lot in common, with the biggest being that we love what we do and have a passion for public safety. What better reason to look to this group for advice and guidance? There's so much experience from most of us in this business that those that are just beginning could tap for a tremendous resource. That, I believe, is where energies need to be focused. What can those of us with 5, 10, 15, 20, 20+ years of experience offer those that are just starting out in code enforcement, or even in design work, to understand the codes better? If this forum can even begin to tap that opportunity, then I think it has been successful. This forum has made a difference and that, to me, means it is successful.

I agree with Codegeek. I didn't donate to "get anything".

I wanted to donate long before Jeff agreed to accept them, and I did not need any incentive. I support this board because of the QUALITY of the posters, not the quantity. I wish I had more time to be more active on the board.

I also support this board because I am gainfully employed so it is possible for me to do so. Your mileage may vary.

TJacobs said:
I agree with Codegeek. I didn't donate to "get anything".I wanted to donate long before Jeff agreed to accept them, and I did not need any incentive. I support this board because of the QUALITY of the posters, not the quantity. I wish I had more time to be more active on the board.

I also support this board because I am gainfully employed so it is possible for me to do so. Your mileage may vary.
What he said!

I'd much rather have a board of 100 active members who post concise, pertinent, thought provoking questions and responses, than a board of 5000 who stir the pot and insult.

Quality over quantity for sure!

I'm extremely pleased with where we are, and how the board has grown. I've posted a number of questions lately, and rarely wait more than an hour for a couple of great responses. As we continue, our archives will be a tremendously valuable resource for anyone searching for code interpretation or guidance.

Thanks again Jeff - and to all - this board rocks, IMHO.

Darren

Ice good comments! You should have shared that with all Administrators. Yes it appears that Fatboy is on the site a good deal, that is why there are 3 administrators and a bunch of Moderators. We can not be here all the time, but good constructive suggestions are always welcome.

Darren is spot on.

And perhaps I should have forwarded that PM onto you and Jeff, but beleive I was correct in as much as we are not after quantity of members, but quality. I really don't care if there are 10,000 members, only that the ones that are members, contributing or not, are using the forum to it's fullest potential for them, whatever that is.

Sorry for the faux pas of not forwarding.

I just stumbled onto this forum with a google search, and was very happy to find members from the old ICC forum. This forum is incredible and I am honored to have its use.

Thanks to everyone who makes it possible.

gbhammer ( and others ),

The best form of marketing is by "word of mouth", so please

pass the web site on to others........I find it to be a very

useful resource!

FWIW, ...IMO, this site DOES INDEED " ROCK! ".......Thanks

to Jeff and ALL who continue to make it this way.

& & & &

The only reason I included everybody else in on a PM that I sent to fatboy was because RJJ said this: 2. "I don't agree that anyone here is causing the site not to grow." I was caught by surprise with that because I never mentioned such a thing.

I sent the PM to fatboy because I figured the administrators have skin in the game and they wanted to see growth. I was wrong in my assessment. To quote Jeff "Bigger is not better; less can be more." Quoteing fatboy "I was correct in as much as we are not after quantity of members, but quality."

It is obvious that none of the other members agree with me, so I am wrong all the way around.

Quality and quantity are mutually exclusive here in some way that I don't understand. I'm sure that the three other members that are currently logged on could explain the concept. Of course, they might not see this and I hate to wait.

I took a look at the forum I have mentioned with the now 24,329 members and there are 95 members and 304 guests logged on. 594 members have logged on in the last 24 hours. I get the feeling that panic would ensue if that happened here. I have seen that forum with 350 members logged on. There aren't that many active members here. Too bad that forum is only about electrical.

Trust me on this, they aren't suffering from the maladies you folks think are synonymous with a large membership. Actually, I've seen more rancorous discourse here than anywhere I've been. If anything they look like this forum with 2,047 active members out of 24,329. The 170 active members here have nothing to fear from growth.

To a certain degree, I have been selfish. It has been my hope to see many inspectors posting. Most of what happens here is about plan checkers and what they deal with. It's not that I disrespect plan checkers, Hell I am one. It's just that I like inspecting so much more. I don't think I'll get my wish.

I won't have anything more to say about this so you can go ahead and talk amongst yourselves now.

Oh I almost forgot! Many of you folks donated to further the greater good. I did it because I found some money under the seat in my truck.

Tiger

I don't understand why you equate numbers with the quality of use. I am active on other sites, boating, SUV's, that have so many members, that any post you put up, is promptly buried to the next page, nobody bothers to scroll back to see it.

This is, what it is, most of us are satisfied with it.

I enjoy your posts, and pics, would hate to see you withdraw..........

fatboy said:
I don't understand why you equate numbers with the quality of use. I am active on other sites, boating, SUV's, that have so many members, that any post you put up, is promptly buried to the next page, nobody bothers to scroll back to see it. This is, what it is, most of us are satisfied with it.

I enjoy your posts, and pics, would hate to see you withdraw..........
Who said anything about withdrawing? I'm just not going to offer up any more suggestions. This place is satisfying for so many that it's a bit arrogant on my part to meddle with it.

RJJ,

You may not have noticed but there is no discussion regarding the suggestions.

You said this: 6. "These are just numbers and what we need is some feed back on how to bring in more people that share the same passion as the nucleus on this site."

You are not going to find those people one at a time. You will sift the masses to find them.

At 2000 members:

91%{1820} are gone.

9%{180} are active and by active I mean they return but may never post.

4%{80} participate.

2%{40} start threads.

.05%.{1} expect growth.

In as much as the collective goal is to learn, it makes sense that there be more than a handful to draw from.

Apply the same percentages to 5,000 members, which at the current rate will take 5 years to reach.

At that point, there will be 100 members that start threads.

Another hundred will post and 200 members will look on in silence.

2.5 of us will be looking for growth.

There would also be 2.5 brudgers. That's better than double the fun.

400 active members is still a small group with only 200 that participate.

Why does it matter to me? Well like the rest of you I am here to learn. As good as you all are, there is "nucleus" of 80. I have been in classes with more than that. A nucleus of 200 equates to 2.5 times the action. Ten times the action wouldn't overwhelm the forum.

I said that I wasn't going to offer any suggestions but I break a lot of other rules so I guess I can break my own.

Since quality is the objective, allow a guest to log on once with full privileges. On their next attempt, deny them entry unless they register. Who cares if a guest is looking in? If that's too hard to do, let a guest into one thread and then shut them off. Only those with more than a passing interest will take the time to register. Make them fill out forms in triplicate while standing on there heads...under water. That's sifting the masses in real time.

Tiger

[Your numbers may vary]