• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Mezzanines

edmarkc

I understand the rules about a mezzanines and feel the code is not clear about the use of the area under the mezzanine.

The proposal is to have a closed mezzanine upstairs with a waiting area and three offices off of that waiting area. The waiting area has access to the room they want to consider it a mezzanine of. The waiting area has two exits and an occupant load of less than 10 if you disregard the occupant load of the waiting area.

Below the area indicated to be a mezzanine, there are restrooms that are accessed via an exit access that leads to the assembly area. These restroom are not accessed through the assembly space.

Is this space now two stories? or can it still be part of the mezzanine. I feel that it is two stories at this point because the restrooms are not part of the assembly area.

Thoughts?

Not sure this is complete but the enclosed space below the mezzanine - the restrooms, etc. - cannot be included in the calculation permitted for the mezzanine area. A part of the principle behind the less restrictive allowances for a mezzanine versus a floor is the openness - that you can see a fire or other hazard from the mezzanine and are in the same room. I have seen enclosed spaces on mezzanines, but usually with views to main floor. I see you have carefully designed to the limits of exceptions.

Offices sure sound as if an accessible route to the mezzanine is required.