• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Miami-Dade demolished active-duty soldier’s home

Keystone

SAWHORSE
http://www.miamiherald.com/2014/07/26/4255789/miami-dade-demolished-active-duty.html

http://www.ocala.com/article/20140727/WIRE/140729729/1002/NEWS?Title=Judge-slams-Dade-county-for-razing-soldier-s-home-

MIAMI — A federal judge has slammed Miami-Dade County for refusing to delay demolition of a soldier's home while he trained in California for deployment to the Middle East.

The Miami Herald reported Saturday the house was razed in 2011 (http://hrld.us/1td3dMP ) after U.S. Army Staff Sergeant Jesus Jimenez did not heed numerous county requests to fix building code violations. Jimenez had repeatedly asked for extensions to fix the problems while he training or on a mission. At one point his commanding military officer also weighed in, asking to officials to stay the hearing 90 days while Jimenez was conducting training on how to defuse improvised explosive devices in Iraq.

U.S. Judge Robert Scola Jr. sided with the father of four, last week, scheduling a September trial to decide what the county owes Jimenez. But he urged both sides to first attempt a settlement. At issue is a World War II-era law, reinstated in 2003, that allows for the temporary suspension of legal or administrative proceedings that could affect active duty military members' civil rights.

"While it is possible that the Jimenezes employed dilatory tactics to avoid remedying the violations on their property and complying with the applicable building ordinances," Scola wrote, "their behavior does not negate the (county's) failure to stay the proceedings...."

The county argued that Jimenez was in the Army Reserves when it issued the violations. But Scola ruled that since Jimenez was on active duty when he requested the stay, he should have been protected.

County officials declined to discuss the case with the Herald, citing the ongoing litigation. But in court filings, Miami-Dade representatives said they'd given Jimenez more than enough time to fix the violations between deployments.

The family rented seven rooms in two houses without permission. Among the problems with their home that sparked the initial code enforcement citations: deteriorating porch beams and a deteriorated roof, as well as a damaged door and an uncovered electrical junction box.

Jimenez says he tried to fix the initial problems but didn't have the money to take out the necessary construction permits. Then he was sent to a Wisconsin training base and was fined for failing to complete the work. Meanwhile, inspectors reviewed the house more closely and ordered more improvements, including covering exposed wiring and other hazards. After more failed negotiations over the home, the family's power was shut off. Eventually, Jimenez hired an engineer and an architect to make the necessary changes, but the county said the problems were so extensive it would be better to start from scratch.

Jimenez says the county targeted his family while ignoring other similar houses in the neighborhood. His attorney wants the city to drop all liens, suspend code-enforcement activities and pay $395,000 in 20 days. In exchange, the family would agree to sell the property where the house was demolished, as well as two other neighboring homes they own.

As a 6 year active duty veteran of the US Marines and a 3 year veteran of the Air Force Reserves, I have ZERO sympathy for him. He played the game, he lost. Now due to a misapplication of a 70 year old law, they have to negotiate.

I agree, bless him for his service, y'all know how I feel about military service. I believe that they should get as many considerations as possible, but to me, this reeks of a slumlord, looking for loopholes. JMHO

The concern I have with this story is the county going back and finding additional violations, was it overlooked the first time, county tried to work with him to deal with the obvious, or lets stick it to'em. Top it off with the county saying its better to start from scratch, what gives the county the right when he obtained an Architect and or Engineer?

He does fit in the slumlord category but the county is not fairing much better. Truely who knows, its from the newspaper so we have to read between the lines or is it lies, idk.

but the county said the problems were so extensive it would be better to start from scratch.
I say that about all the historical buildings people want to renovate but it is not my call on how much money someone is willing to spend on a project
the family's power was shut off.
Now vacate and secure the property and put on hold the proceedings until he gets back from active duty.

As noted above it is a "news story" and was written to generate sympathy for the owner