• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Min size for a pull “ring”

Yikes

Gold Member
I have a component on a unique project (sorry I can’t share details) that will require someone to pull on a rod. In order to make this accessible (no grasping or pinching, etc.).

I’m thinking of welding a large metal ring to the end of the rod. Is there anything in ADAS, ANSI or other standards that could tell me how big of an inside diameter I would need on the ring in order for it to facilitate a reasonable upward pull for a person who has no fingers?

think of your hand as a nuckle to determine the dia. of its surface area vs the size of what you intend to use.

It should not swing, nor should it spin or rotate along the axis of the pull rod. It should just be a pull-up / push down motion.
I was looking at typical cabinet D-pulls to determine a reasonable dimension, but couldn't find any written minimum dimensions in the codes.

Suggest it project a minimum 1.5" from face to allow enough distance to allow nuckel to lever against face of drawer/door and hardware.