• Welcome to the new and improved Building Code Forum. We appreciate you being here and hope that you are getting the information that you need concerning all codes of the building trades. This is a free forum to the public due to the generosity of the Sawhorses, Corporate Supporters and Supporters who have upgraded their accounts. If you would like to have improved access to the forum please upgrade to Sawhorse by first logging in then clicking here: Upgrades

Minecraft Code Education

Glenn

Though most the market for building code education is in code professionals, I believe that residential code education is very important for everyone. So... why not use the most mainstream (and amazing) video game to help share the message of life safety to everyone. I hope you enjoy this video my son and I made to share the message of the importance of basement escape and rescue openings. (better with sound, but not necessary)

That’s neat.
I don’t know anything about minecraft, hope you don’t get in trouble for using their trademark name.

That was a welcome diversion while trapped at home. But the deck over the hole.....I don’t think that I would allow that.

Though most the market for building code education is in code professionals, I believe that residential code education is very important for everyone. So... why not use the most mainstream (and amazing) video game to help share the message of life safety to everyone. I hope you enjoy this video my son and I made to share the message of the importance of basement escape and rescue openings. (better with sound, but not necessary)

This was an amazing video. Ingenuity like this will go a long way. Not only is this good for the building officials to learn and be refreshed from but it also educates the public and those younger kids likely to fall asleep in a basement playing video games. I can see kids questioning their parents and showing them this video. Bravissimo!

That’s neat.
I don’t know anything about minecraft, hope you don’t get in trouble for using their trademark name.
It's an open source game, meaning they allow you to have the source code for the game itself and modify it. People make and distribute "mods" to the game programing itself. There are millions of Minecraft videos, though I don't find any quite like this. If I'm in the wrong, I'm guessing I'd just have to take it down.

a lot of time seems to have gone into this, good you or your helpers
Thanks. The game is amazing, and simple to build stuff. I've build some cool custom homes in it that may not be quite the quality of sketchup, but way more fun and easier to build. We spent a day on this project, but it was a day with my son, not work.

That was a welcome diversion while trapped at home. But the deck over the hole.....I don’t think that I would allow that.
Thanks! as for allowing it... does your adopted code allow it? It's been allowed in IRC 310 since the 2006 edition. 36 inch minimum height. In the 2021 it will also be a minimum 36 inch width.

This was an amazing video. Ingenuity like this will go a long way. Not only is this good for the building officials to learn and be refreshed from but it also educates the public and those younger kids likely to fall asleep in a basement playing video games. I can see kids questioning their parents and showing them this video. Bravissimo!
Thanks! This is the hope. Perhaps a game as familiar as this will have people watch and learn. (Second most distributed game ever. Tetris is #1)

Thanks! as for allowing it... does your adopted code allow it? It's been allowed in IRC 310 since the 2006 edition. 36 inch minimum height. In the 2021 it will also be a minimum 36 inch width.

R310.2.4 Emergency escape and rescue openings under decks and porches. Emergency escape and rescue openings installed under decks and porches shall be fully openable and provide a path not less than 36 inches (914 mm) in height to a yard or court.

Just a guess but is the distance to the yard or court also 36"? If not is 36' too far? I wonder what the reaction would be if the fire dept. didn't find it and a digital being burned?

For what it's worth, I"ve seen three window wells in my time as an inspector. I remember that there were three because they were all on the same property....three houses....and they were all done wrong. I had one coming up that had a spiral staircase but I traded areas with another inspector. That house has a cantilevered swimming pool proposed. A foreign national is building it for his son to use while he attends college here in the USA.

Last edited:

Love it Glenn, and our code change regarding EERO's under decks, I believe you threw in the width requirement of 36", which you did not point out in the video...........no probs.

Love it Glenn, and our code change regarding EERO's under decks, I believe you threw in the width requirement of 36", which you did not point out in the video...........no probs.
I spoke in favor for the width, but I think it was Matt that proposed it. I think that perhaps ICE has some reasonable thoughts about a length limit. An attic or underfloor 30-inch tall path to a furnace is limited to 20 feet and that's really for convenience, not life safety. So... if those have a length limit, perhaps so should this.

No, I had the original proposal which spoke to height, you came in with a "friendly floor modification" for the width. Matt had a totally separate proposal that got shot down.

No, I had the original proposal which spoke to height, you came in with a "friendly floor modification" for the width. Matt had a totally separate proposal that got shot down.
Everything I do is "friendly"! ha, ha! Those hearings are such a whirlwind that my memory just gets blown all over the place...